Ch. 13 - Happily Ever After

With the skies as blue as they could've been, it made complete sense that the reception festivities took place outside. Seeing the town within the castle walls so bustled with energy and color was so refreshing for you.
Every single person in the streets appeared ready for your arrival, many of the commoners unable to attend the official wedding happy to see their king with his bride. Such happiness from others was something you could easily get used to.

As the two of you rushed out of those front doors, bombarded with those smiling faces, you were simultaneously offered many different gifts from those who eagerly waited to adore you as their new queen. Pastries, flowers, fruits and vegetables, even carefully woven handkerchiefs were pushed in your direction as the two of you excitedly made your way through the crowd. Guards kept close to your sides to not let anyone get too close.

You spent a majority of the late afternoon after the ceremony mingling with the people of the town; some folks even traveling from more distant towns and even other kingdoms to participate in the festivities. 
You felt completely loved by your new subjects, utterly spoiled with their gifts and happiness. The whole idea of the marriage being arranged had escaped your mind completely.

As the evening sunset crept upon the horizon, attendants lighting the street lights one by one, steady music began to play from the street musicians. You and Suguru had made your way to the town square, a large fountain at its center with couples swaying to the romantic melody that filled the air. 
He took the lead, delicately picking up your hand and leading you closer to the fountain where a more open spot was. The guards stood by, spaced out but still nearby as a few of the couples slowed to a stop to watch as your husband's rugged hands softly found the curve of your waist. 

He held a low-lidded, pleased smile as your hands tangled through his long hair to find his neck. His hair was suddenly much softer than you remembered in the few times that you had ever - accidentally - touched it. Even the flesh on the back of his neck that you grazed with your fingertips was smooth and warm.
His scent was also intoxicating, filling your nostrils with the smell of sandalwood and dark musk. You had hardly noticed it, but your heart was beginning to pick up its pace and your palms slowly grew damp. The only thing happening to you that you could physically note was how dry your mouth felt and the slight dizziness from your heightened blood pressure.

Your eyes held his throughout the duration of your first dance. Your gaze was one more of wonder and disbelief despite yourself. Suguru's expression remained stoic and low-lidded though his hold on your waist tightened just a bit, finding yourself closer to his chest.

You swallowed hard, your nerves causing you to forget any sort of steps you had learned during your dance lessons. You broke out of your trance every few seconds after stepping on the tips of his toes - him hiding a giggle each time. 
The very next time it happened, he chuckled out loud and suddenly scooped your body upward - letting your flats rest atop his own shoes. He lead the dance as your cheeks turned redder, suddenly a bit self-conscious of your weight and hoping you weren't applying too much pressure to his toes. 

But you easily found your way back into his mesmerizing gaze and the sway of the music. With your emotions leading the way, you let your body stretch upward to meet his lips without warning - a light peck with your still pink cheeks, looking away and acting shyly out-of-character.

"What was that?" He asked with a little smirk, raising an eyebrow as you looked up at him.

"A kiss," you mumbled your answer, trying to keep your lips from twisting into a smile. 

"Was it?" He asked sarcastically, looking up to the sky in thought. "I think I may need another to be sure."

You blinked hard at his suggestion, biting your lower lip and looking away again. In that same moment, he completely stopped his movements and used his index and thumb to lift your chin in his direction. 
Naturally, your eyes fluttered shut to match his. His lips grew ever-so near, the heat of his breath covering yours before they met. 
The kiss easily became something much deeper than the little peck you had given him earlier. The crowd particularly liked it, cheers and whistles from the commoners enjoying your affection. In that moment, half of you enjoyed the attention and the other half just wanted to hide away. But one thing was one hundred percent certain: your feelings for Geto had changed.

Your kiss ended with the final note of the music. You excused your toes from his own and he released his grip around your waist. He gave you a bow as you parted and you realized what you had to do - messily curtsying to keep up with him.

"There's someone who's been vying for your attention," Suguru whispered and allowed his eyes to dart in their direction as you came up from your curtsy. 

"Who?" You wondered, turning your head toward the direction of his gaze. Without needing his answer, your eyes fell upon Kento who gave a tilted smile. 

"I'll go mingle a bit," he smiled politely and dismissed himself, leaving you standing there as Nanami clearly took that as a cue to walk up to you.

You gave a flat-lipped smile as your friend approached you in an attempt to hide your excitement from seeing him. You used to see him every day, but now you were down to very few moments.

"You look beautiful," his voice was soft as he smiled warmly down at you. It was clear he was trying not to let his eyes wander. Suguru was right after all...

"Thanks," you shrugged and tugged at the sides of your dress, "I didn't really pick anything out but...ya' know."

"Nonetheless," Kento sighed. Music suddenly began to start once more. "May I?" He held out his hand and you were suddenly speechless.

"Um..." you glanced over toward your new husband who looked to be preoccupied. You also looked about at the crowd, very few eyes on you at this point. "Alright," you gently accepted his hand, placing your other on his shoulder as his hands found your waist. 

"I'm sorry if this gives you unwanted attention," Kento spoke as the two of you twirled to the music. "It's probably scandalous to be dancing with a man who isn't your husband on your wedding day."

"Don't worry about it," you scoffed playfully, somehow feeling extremely awkward with your friend you once considered so close. "I'm in command now," you wiggled your eyebrows and Kento chuckled along with you.

"Do you still feel the way that you do?" He suddenly asked. You didn't appreciate the sudden interrogation. "That this was an offer you couldn't refuse?"

"Yes," you answered sternly, "and no." He was slightly taken aback by your sudden shift in answer. "This is...much more than just giving my parents a home. This is...a position that allows me to change things. And...there are much bigger things that I hadn't known about before...that I still don't. But it tells me that my role here is important."

"Things?" Kento shook his head and furrowed his brow, though his steps didn't miss a beat. You, however, were still a bit of a mess - a mess that Kento, too, ignored. 

"And, for the record, King Suguru is actually very sweet," you defended your new partner. "I...could fall in love." You said with an attempt at confidence. The truth was already there, but you didn't want Kento to be more hurt than he already potentially was.

"Well..." Kento took a deep breath and rolled his eyes, "whatever these things are...if you ever need help, I'm just a page away."

"Thanks," you blushed, "I know." The music ended and Kento released you, his body language attempting to return to something more casual despite his several minutes of closeness with you.

"Do you have feelings for me?" You asked with great intent. It was Kento's turn to be shocked at your question. "Suguru says you do. I didn't believe him."

Kento's hesitation was much louder than he intended as he searched for the words. "I can't lie," he began chewing on the inside of his cheek. "But it doesn't mean anything."

"Why didn't you tell me sooner?" Your voice quickly became smaller, feeling a bit heartbroken and betrayed. 

Kento's eyes now flickered with interest. "I never found the right moment," he shrugged with a smile. "But I'm glad that you feel like you're headed in the right direction with King Suguru. If you ever feel like you're not, I'm always here."