Ch. 15 - Magic

It was all over. The day you had half anticipated and half dreaded was complete. The morning came just as fast as the previous day ended. Even with the rooster's crow, you felt as if you could get several more hours of sleep. You had never received so much attention from so many people in one day. It was incredibly exhausting.

Though the marriage you were in was contractual in nature, you and Suguru managed to share a bed and then some. As you'd found out over the past weeks, Suguru was kindhearted and warm. There was no reason to give him the cold shoulder any longer. 
In fact, you thought you'd find him next to you when you woke the next morning. You rolled over in bed, arm outstretched and expecting to find a body only to find his side of the bed empty. Your eyes opened a bit more wider when you realized you were completely alone. 

"Suguru?" You called out as if he could hear you. 
To be fair, he had his own private bathroom so he could've been in there, but considering its open door the chances were slim.

Realizing you were completely alone, you took some time to stretch out and enjoy the large chambers. He had much softer blankets than you did, at least it felt that way. And the temperature somehow felt more controlled. It was as if the Grand Chamber was purposefully built to be the best room in the castle - though that should be obvious.

After some time, you meandered back to your room to change and get ready for your day. You had a few more etiquette lessons to go but besides that you wondered what more your day could hold seeing as you weren't necessarily needed for the "government" type dealings. For all you knew, your life was suddenly sugar-coated. 

"Where's Suguru?" You asked your etiquette coach, the same sour, old woman from before. You were already bored with your afternoon activities and with Suguru the only person you knew behind castle walls, save for your own parents, you really didn't have a choice. That and he was quickly becoming one of your favorite people - and you were close to admitting that.

"You mean King Suguru," she still somehow had a stick up her ass.

"Yeah, where is he?" You purposefully refused to repeat as you sipped from your teacup. Today's lesson: how to properly take tea. As if there was a wrong way apparently.

The woman scowled at you before answering. The only way she answered was with a lifting of one of your brows. After all, you were the queen at this point. You could have her thrown out for all you cared. "He's likely training at this time of day. Typically he's in the bailey considering the type of training."

"How come you get to know but I don't?!" You whined, realizing this "training" likely had something to do with the strange creatures that kept being mentioned. 

"I've been with the royal family nearly my entire life," she humphed proudly. "You learn plenty of secrets in that many years."

You dropped your brow, already knowing that there was no way she would spill any secrets at Suguru's orders. 

"Well," you sighed, coming to a stand, "I declare this afternoon's lessons over. I'm going to go find Suguru." 

"Oh, no you're not," she crankily stood with you. "I've been ordered to keep you under my supervision until our sessions are over. And from there your attendant is to accompany you."

"Why do I need to be babysat?" You rolled your eyes and began walking toward the door. "I'm the queen for crying out loud." The woman flattened her lips, knowing you were right. 

"I'm sorry, madam," this was the first time you heard her be respectful, "but King Suguru is very adamant about you not finding out about the...situation. He said you have a...bright spirit...when it comes to adventure. He thinks you'd find trouble if you found out."