Why he matters + Her hero

Chapter 3- Why he matters

Bree groaned, rolling over in her bed. She sat up dazedly and glanced at her clock. It read 2AM. Damn it!

Bree had been trying to get to sleep for over 3 hours but her mind just kept going back to Lee. What he said, what he did, how he looked....

As much as Bree tried to deny it, Lee was amazing to look at. And she detected a faint English accent when he spoke. It was actually adorable.

Focus, Brianna!

Right. Well, she just had to give that card back to him. And apologize. She couldn't help but be a little curious about why he didn't try to stop her earlier. If he knew... then he should have stopped her.

Why didn't he?

Bree thought deeply, knowing that she could never be friends with Dean and Jason after what they had done to Lee. If the choice was between Lee and Dean-Jason, Bree would choose Lee, hands down.

Bree looked at her clock again. 3AM.

I'm going to wake up looking like a zombie tomorrow.

Oops, scratch that. I was going to look like a zombie TODAY.

And how was she to react to Lee? Were they friends now? Could they ever become friends?

In the middle of all this contemplating, Bree drifted into a restless sleep.

******

The weekend slid by very quickly as Bree spent most of it in her room, busy with homework and thoughts about Lee that clouded her mind. She was way too preoccupied by his slight smirk, his piercing blue eyes, his flawless, seemingly hand-etched feature, his melodic voice that was accented by a tinge of a British accent.

In fact, Bree found herself thinking about Lee more than anything else that weekend. It was as if she'd known him all along. As if he was a friend. The compassion in Bree flared, and she shuddered to think of what hell he must have been going through in school.

Knock it off, Bree. You're turning to mush.

No matter what her mind told her, Bree couldn't just stop thinking and worrying about Lee. She fingered over his sports ID card over and over again. She traced his neat and formal font in the back of the card, where he'd signed.

You'd better hold off the sappy romance novels, Bree.

Bree stared up at her ceiling from her bed on Sunday night, almost nervous about school the next day. She had no idea what Lee really thought of her and didn't encourage the idea of finding out.

It was almost embarrassing to Bree. Would Lee think she pitied him?

The last thing anyone would want is to be pitied and become a case of charity. Lee wasn't charity to her. He was someone who needed companionship and was too afraid to ask for it. There were no ulterior motives on her part. She just wanted to help him.

"You know what? Screw him. I did what I thought was right" Bree finally murmured to herself before zoning out.

The next day, she left for school, early as usual. It was when she parked in the lot that she realized that she had no reason to be in school early that day. Lee had made it pretty clear, hadn't he?

Sighing in annoyance, Bree put her stuff into her locker and slammed it shut with an unnecessary force. Out of her sheer natural curiosity, Bree peered across the hallway at Lee's locker. No one was around....

Perhaps she could try and see if there was anything in the locker. Unable to curb her inquisitive instincts, Bree wafted across the hall and touched his locker.