All Alone And Abandoned

Dedicated to roseduchess!!! Love you!! 

Chapter 5- All alone and abandoned

Love the alliteration, right?

Bree hung about at the school entrance, watching and waiting anxiously for Lee. She paced about in the deserted parking lot and had to get inside when it started drizzling again.

Just freaking great! Now Lee has even more reason not to turn up today!

Bree didn't even recognize the hysteria in her. A few weeks ago, she didn't know who Lee was. Now she was doing whatever she could to protect him, even if he didn't want her to.

Suddenly, Bree's sharp grey eyes caught something that made her whole face light up. Down the road, dressed in a rain coat and jeans, looking more adorable than he had any right to, was Lee!

Bree jumped up and down, bobbing on her toes, unable to contain her relief and excitement at seeing Lee alive and in one piece.

He's okay! He's really okay.

"Lee!" she called out to him as he approached her. He glanced up in surprise and quickly ducked as she came closer to him.

"Lee, hey, you're hurt!" Bree stared at his bleeding lip in anger.

"Oh this? I-I just ran i-into a p-pole" he mumbled, in his quiet voice and hurried on to his locker.

"Really? A pole? When?" Bree narrowed her eyes in suspicion and Lee squirmed under her intense gaze.

"T-today. N-now" he whispered and tried to dodge her. Bree quickly stepped in the way.

"Did anybody tell you you're a lousy liar?" Bree asked and turned to go.

Bree entered Biology class in a bad mood. She had tried to help Lee but he lied right to her face. And the cut on his lip was bad. He needed to get it dressed or cleaned soon.  

To her surprise, she saw Lee sitting in the last bench, lost in a book. She silently sat beside him and opened her own books, pretending to leaf through them.

Lee stared at her, stunned that anyone would actually sit next to him. He shifted away uncomfortably and sighed. Even from where Bree sat, she made out that his breathing was shaky, ragged.

"B-Brianna, why are you sitting here?" Lee mumbled, half to himself.

"Well, do you not want me here?" Bree snapped and immediately regretted it when she saw that lonely and sorrowfully look in his eyes.

"Sorry, Lee, I didn't mean to snap at you. I just had a really bad day yesterday" Bree sighed, waiting for his reaction.

Lee simply nodded and didn't press his question any further.

Such a sweetheart!

Bree shook her head before she could let her thoughts go any further. Lee's lip was still bleeding and he kept dabbing at it with a tissue. And wincing when he did.

Oh God, Lee!

"Are you alright?" Bree whispered. She hadn't intended to sound so worried.

He glanced at her in surprise. Like no one had ever cared for him before. Bree felt sick to her stomach, now knowing how true this was.

"Promise me that you're alright" she persisted, for reasons unknown even to her. And this seemed to amuse Lee.

"I promise you, Brianna, that I'm alright" he whispered back. Lee's lips stretched into a tiny little smile that set free a million butterflies in Bree's stomach. He chuckled. The sound echoed in her mind, like a wind chime in the breeze. Bree let out a dreamy sigh and Lee glanced at her again, smirking slightly.