Is this goodbye for good?

Dedicated to EmilyTheReader!!! Thanks for the love! 

Chapter 6- Is this goodbye for good?

Bree found herself completely at ease with Cody. He was a perfect friend and a really great listener. He matched her vibe on a new level and Bree enjoyed every minute she spent with him.

Over their time together, Bree learned how competitive and driven Cody was to win the Crown. He also wanted 'Team Optimus' to go to the international competition so he did all that he could to make that happen. Cody was sweet, funny and nice. Bree found herself appreciating the new life she had at school now, more than the one she had with the popular cliques. It was nice to be able to sit with whomever she wanted, talk to anybody and be herself without having to think about standards.

At lunch, she bonded with Cody, Mila, Ben and Mario. Claudia chose to stay in the popular table and spent as much time as she could away from the team. Lee, however, was a touchy subject for Bree. He still sat with the group and worked on the project with them, but he was more closed off than ever. More secretive.

More guarded.

 She didn't know how she was supposed to talk to him after he rejected her like that. After everything she did for him!

Some people never know what kindness means.

One day, at lunch, she saw Lee was sitting alone at the table. The others weren't going to be there that day so Bree searched for another table to sit at. She didn't want to be alone with Lee anymore. He was just so ungrateful. Bree was about to go join a girl she knew form History class. But she stopped when she saw long, perfectly straight slits on Lee's wrists.

What?!

The

Hell!!!

Bree felt a crushing feeling of guilt crash over her. How could she expect more from Lee, when he had nothing in life for himself? He had to survive. That was what his life was about. Living. Enduring. Suffering.

How could Bree expect him to act normal and thank her for her meager efforts? That was horrible of her!

Knowing that she had to get to the bottom of this, she set down her tray on Lee's table and sat down, sighing. Lee looked at her in surprise.

"What, you're talking to me again?" he whispered.

"I am sorry, Lee. I was just blowing off steam. Anyways, did you finish the soil survey report?" Bree asked him, while inspecting his ravaged wrists. The cuts were obviously self-induced. Knife or a blade. And they came dangerously close to hitting that main blood vessel that could be fatal if it ruptured. He wasn't trying to gain relief by cutting himself like some people do.

He was trying to KILL himself.

Lee was suicidal.

A terrifying thought crossed Bree's mind. What if he had succeeded? He wouldn't be sitting with her right then, discussing soil samples. He wouldn't be alive!!!

The thought that Lee could die one day brought tears to Bree's eyes. Eyes glistening with tears of pain and understanding, she looked up at Lee's face, realizing that he was aware of her scrutiny and was looking at her with an anxious expression in those beautiful eyes.

Seeing Bree's moist eyes and pained gaze, Lee looked incredulous. Like he couldn't believe she would worry about him. Almost as if no one had worried about him at all.

"Lee" Bree's voice came out in a hoarse whisper, as her tears brimmed over. Lee's eyes widened as her cheeks were swept by the moisture.

"Y-you're c-crying?" he was astounded, like it was the most impossible thing ever. Bree smiled a little.