Apologies and Accessories

Chapter 7- Apologies and accessories 

"Bree?"

"Hello Bree honey?"

"Where are you?"

"I am worried sick, honey. Where are you? What is that splashing sound around you? Are you in the rain? Bree? Are you okay? Bree??"

"M-mom?"

"Bree? Sweetie where are you? Are you crying? Bree??!!! Answer me!"

"M-mommy"

 "Oh god. I'm coming to get you, sweetie. Stay right where you are. I'll find you"

"O-okay-y"

The phone slipped from Bree's hand, onto the cement bench in the school parking lot. The lot was completely empty, on account of the storm warning that had been posted for the entire week.

The torrential rain beat mercilessly down on Melrose, the only mask to Bree's painful tears. That's where she sat, watching Lee's retreating figure be engulfed by the mist and clouds. That's where she sat for the past five hours, crying for the life she had destroyed.

Crying because she caused pain to the hero she swore she would protect.

Crying because she now knew that she made his life ten times worse.

The cold and the wet didn't bother her. Bree sat there, more alone than she had ever been, knowing that she could never apologize to Lee. She couldn't beg for his forgiveness when she knew she didn't deserve it.

Her mother's frantic phone calls had just been a lull in the back ground. Just a tiny smidge.

Bree remain suspended in time, the hours passing by in a haze, as she grieved the invaluable loss. She had lost a person who was worth a billion of any other one alive. The most amazing person had gone out of her life, possibly for good and it was all her fault that he hated her.

Bree was oblivious to her mother's terrified pleas to get Bree into the car. Unaware of the blanket that she encased in and half carried into the car. She was faintly conscious of the fact that her soaked clothing was peeled off her body and she was ushered into warm dry ones. That her luscious locks of chocolate brown hair were now plastered to her skull in a manner she would normally have had a fit over.

All those trivial things didn't seem to matter anymore. Not when she was cause to something far more consequential and devastating.

She shattered the inch of trust a very special person had in her and destroyed all hopes of ever gluing back their friendship, if you could even call it that.

What did a person like that even deserve?

The evening passed in a blur but Bree had no idea what she had been doing. In reality, all she did was sit by the window, watching the pelting rain and drown in self hatred. It was as if she had been fossilized.

Frozen in the moment of time where she knew nothing besides self loathing.

Dead. Numb.

"Okay honey, you call me anytime and I'll come pick you up, alright?" Mrs. Parker's voice sounded distant as Bree drifted in the jam-packed hallway at school. She didn't even notice the sleek black phone sliding out of her weak grasp and clattering on the crowded hallway floor.

"Hey Bree, you dropped your- Bree?" someone called after her but she didn't bother to turn. Or care.

Bree wandered around like a zombie, brain dead. She wouldn't have been able to tell if it was snowing outside or the sun was out and shining. She didn't know which class she went to, what they taught her or even what she ate for lunch. In fact, she didn't even know whether she ate or not. Nothing seemed to matter.