XI

"No quote today, I'll give you guys a break"
- Me

*Enjoy 3,000 words of pure unedited literature*

Kai's driving had changed significantly since the last time we rode in a car together.

He seemed to dare-I-say act almost neutral towards the whole situation.

I kept my body still, my eyes focused intently on the passing cars and buildings we drove by. I refused to mess this up.

We pulled into an overhang connected to a large brick building. I didn't get a good look at it, as Kai immediately got out of the driver's side, and began to walk across the car to my side.

That was my cue. I opened the door to be met with his hand.

Immediately butterflies erupted in my stomach seeing his gesture. I shouldn't have had that reaction, deep down I just wanted him to show a little chivalry. Was that so bad?

I hesitated to take it though, my mind was fogged with his behavioral change.

I glanced up at his eyes and was met with an Indifferent expression. I placed my hand in his, immediately feeling the warmth he carried and stood up.

Just this simple act caused my face to blush.

As he handed the keys to the parking valet, he led me towards the door, his hand rested against the small of my back. He's good at acting like he's a decent fiancé, I'll give him that.

As we entered, a group of people all dressed to the nines, looked over at us with intrigued faces.

Embarrassment flooded over me, like an uncomfortable sheet. I wasn't sure they were looking at me per-say, but I knew their eyes were in our direction. Did everyone do this to the couples that walked in the door?

We walked straight passed them, feeling their eyes up until we were out of view.

Suddenly, Kai gripped my waist and pulled me against his chest .

My heart rate picked up tremendously. What was this about? Had I already done something?

He bent down and dipped his face beside my ear, his jaw brushing my cheek, "stay beside me the whole time. Do not move from my line of sight unless I saw otherwise. Understand?" His breath fanned my earlobe making me slightly shudder.

I nodded, my entire body shaking at our close proximity. Since when was he so bossy?

"Good." Was all that he said.

I knew he saw how I reacted, and I'm sure that disgusted him more than he let on, but fortunately for me, he didn't say anything about it.

His hand rested back where it had originally been, and he straightened himself back to his full height.

I took a moment to look around the huge venue, hoping to distract myself from what had just happened between us.

The flooring was a beautiful mosaic of some kind, and the walls were painted with what looked to be little gold specs in the cremé paint . The tables were positioned off to the side with long black table cloths, each topped with name tags. A large crystal chandelier hung in the middle of the room centering the ballroom perfectly.

A few couples walked over to us, the first was a couple that seemed to be around our age. The man had green eyes and blonde hair, his wife I assumed, sported the same hair color but her eyes were a dashing blue.

"Kai, you never told me you were engaged to the Moore's daughter. She's quite breathtaking isn't she?" he gave me a small smile.

Kai smiled but tightened his grip on my back, "Lars! How's business going in England?" He asked changing the subject completely.