Five - Hunter

Andie had seemed distant ever since our make out session in the supply closet. It had been several weeks, and she hadn't attempted to flirt with me once. She'd been wearing jeans and casual shirts to work, so there had been no peepshow either. I knew it was for the best, but damn if I wasn't craving her. Just one taste hadn't been enough. I wanted another. Hell, I wanted to feast on all of her. I couldn't tell how she was feeling about it though. I should just flat ask her, but I was being a chicken shit. I'd never reacted to anyone like I was with Andie. I should let it lie the way it was, but I didn't think I could. I wanted her and not just for one night. I wanted her for the long haul.

"What's wrong with Andie?" Justin asked, nodding in her direction. It was a slow Tuesday night and we had zero customers currently. Andie was sitting at a corner table jotting something down onto a piece of paper. She looked lost in thought and maybe a little sad.

"I don't know." I shrugged but was it the truth? Did I truly not know what was wrong with her? I mean, maybe she regretted the kiss. Maybe she regretted teasing and flirting with me. Maybe I freaked her the fuck out when I'd started to dry-hump her in the supply closet. Maybe I should apologize to her.

"She likes you." Justin stated and I nodded. He studied me for several moments then added, "You like her."

Again, I nodded, but said, "I'm too old for her."

"Bullshit. Six years isn't that much once you reach a certain age. It's not like she's a minor."

"She's Dare's sister."

"He'll get over it as long as you aren't in it for a quickie, which I can tell you're not."

"How can you tell?"

Justin smirked, "Because your eyes follow her around the room like she hung the fucking moon."

"They do not." I barked out a laugh, causing Andie to glance up. Our eyes met and held. She gave me a shy smile and then dipped her head toward her work in progress again. What was she working on so intently?

"Uh, she seems weird with you. Did something happen?"

I winced, "Uh, yea...sort of. We, um, kissed in the supply closet a couple Saturday's ago."

Justin nodded, not seeming at all surprised. Then he said, "We have zero customers. Why aren't you over there wooing her?"

"Wooing? Really?" I rolled my eyes, but he simply nodded her way.

With a sigh, I threw my rag onto the bar top, sent Justin a glare as he headed back for his office wearing a smile. Then I made my way over to where Andie sat. I reached her table, and she still didn't look up, so I cleared my throat and just as I did I glanced at her paper. The words "lick" and "cock" stuck out in my mind, before she gasped and pulled the paper back. What in the actual fuck?

"Uh, hey Hunter, what's up?"

I sat next to her in the booth, crowding her, "What are you working on, Andie?"

"N—nothing."

I smirked, "I distinctly remember seeing the word cock on that piece of paper you're hiding. So, I'll ask again, what are you working on?"

"Cock? What? That's crazy. You must have misread it. It clearly said cook. It's my, um, grocery list."

I laughed. Gosh, she was adorable. I shook my head, "You don't cook."

She sighed, "Fine, I got an idea for a scene for a book I'm writing."

My eyes widened, "You're writing a porn?"

She rolled her eyes, "A romance novel."

"A romance novel." I repeated, dumbstruck. I don't know why it was so shocking. She'd been a scholar in her English and Literature classes. I just never pegged her as the romance novel type. I instantly wanted to know more, so I asked, "Is this your first novel?"

"No." She said, biting her lip and added, "Fourth."

I blinked in surprise, "You've seriously completed three novels and are working on a fourth? Have you thought about publishing them?"

She nodded, slowly, "Uh, my first three are published online. Most people read digitally anymore, which makes publishing a little easier without the costs of printing a bunch of copies. The big-name authors still sell hard copies, but I'm not there yet."

"You've published three novels?" I was floored and so freaking proud of her. I frowned, "Why didn't I know about this before now? Does your family know?"

Now her eyes widened, "Are you kidding? Do you seriously think they'd be proud of their daughter writing novels with the word cock in it? No, they don't know, and I have no intention of telling them."

I didn't fully disagree with her, but I still thought she should share her success with her family. That was a battle for another day, however, because I asked, "May I read one?"

"No way."

"Why?"

"I don't know. You'll laugh at it or something."

I shook my head, "No, I absolutely will not. Please."

She studied me for several minutes and then sighed, "Fine. Do you have an E-reader?"

I nodded, "Doesn't everyone?"

She laughed, "No, but I'm glad you do. Look up the name Hattie Anderson."

"Why? Who is she?"

"She is me. It's my penname."

I grinned, "Andie Hatfield...Hattie Anderson...close enough to feel like you, but far enough away that nobody would suspect. Clever."

She nodded, "Promise you won't make fun of me, after reading."

"Scout's Honor."

"You weren't a boy scout."

"And you weren't a girl scout. Don't think I didn't know you were lying when you said you just wanted one kiss." I said, dipping my tone to an intimate level as I leaned closer, "But I promise I won't make fun of you."

"Hey kids! May as well close for the night. We haven't had a customer in over an hour. I'm going to head out too." Justin announced.

I nodded and stood, "That sounds like a plan. I have some reading to do tonight."

Andie elbowed me in the stomach, as she also stood, making me laugh and Justin look at us strangely. Andie shrugged, "Oops. My elbow slipped."

"O—k. Need any help closing up?" Justin asked.

"Naw. We've been so dead tonight, there isn't much to clean. Go ahead and take off. I'll be right behind you." I waved him off. Justin nodded, saluted us both, and then left.

"Are you really going home to read one of my books?" Andie asked.

"Yes."

"Do you live alone?"

"Yes."

She nodded, apparently satisfied, but then added, "You, uh, haven't gone on any dates or anything since I've been home, that I know of. Are you seeing someone special?"

I smirked, "Did you think I was seeing someone special when you shoved your tongue down my throat a few weeks ago?"

She blushed, "Uh—"

"No, I'm not seeing anyone. Tired of playing the field. Ready for something more." I tell her, looking her in the eyes, as I tuck a stray strand of hair behind her ear. I want to kiss her again, but I somehow manage to hold back. I can tell she wants it too, but it's my turn to tease her, so I'll withhold for now.

So, with that, I step back and turn to walk away. A few steps away, I turn back and wink at her for good measure and then I get to work cleaning. I want to get home and read at least one of her books before our next shift. I couldn't wait to read her work. I was intrigued considering the words I'd seen on that piece of paper she'd shoved into her pocket, but I was also interested to see what kind of story she'd come up with. I had no doubt it was going to be good.