Eight - Hunter

I hadn't seen Dare or Andie in over a week. Dare made sure never to come into the bar on my nights to work and Andie had stopped showing up for work. I didn't know if that was her choice or if Dare had fired her. It was better though, that she hadn't shown up. Seeing her and not being able to kiss or touch her would have been just too hard now that I knew what I was missing. I knew I'd been ready to settle down, I just hadn't known when I met the one, I'd be knocked on my ass so thoroughly and I never expected Andie to be the one. I'd grown up with her. I still remember her awkward stage, although even then she was adorable.

"You look like shit." Justin stated, suddenly taking a seat at the bar.

I nodded, "Probably."

"Dare doesn't look much better, although his face is at least not bruised, but he's definitely depressed as fuck."

"Huh." I wasn't sure how to respond to that. I still didn't blame Dare for losing his shit, but I was a little hurt that he instantly thought the worst of me. Did he seriously think I'd use Andie for sex? Did he not realize I never would have touched her if she didn't mean something to me?

"I imagine Andie probably looks the worst out of everyone, though. I don't know for sure since nobody has seen her lately. According to Roxy, Andie has locked herself in her childhood bedroom and won't come out for nothing or nobody. Her mom puts food outside the door. Sometimes it's gone the next time she checks, but most of the time it's not.

I was instantly more alert, "Andie isn't eating?"

Justin shrugged, "Sometimes."

Fuck. I did not like hearing that, at all. "You want to watch the bar for me?"

"Get your ass over there, Man." Justin nodded.

I rounded the bar, intent on talking some sense into Andie, when Dare walked into the bar. As I'd been on my way out, we stood with only a few feet between us. I had no idea what to say. Since Dare had come to the bar on a night when he knew I'd be there, I decided to wait to see what he had to say. Finally, he grunted, "You really love her?'

I nodded, "I do."

"And you won't fuck around on her?"

"As soon as I know it won't freak her the fuck out, I'm going to marry her, but it's too soon for that." I hadn't known I was going to say that until the words came out of my mouth, but they felt right as soon as I said them. I knew it was fast, but I'd fallen head over heels for her and it didn't scare me anymore.

Dare nodded, "Fine."

"Fine?"

Dare sighed, "Fine, ok? Yes, it still weirds me out to think of one of my best friends sleeping with my sister, but—"

"I haven't."

"What?"

"I haven't slept with your sister. Not yet anyway."

"Seriously?"

I nodded, "Seriously. I wouldn't treat her like that, Dude. She deserves so much more than a quick tumble. She means more to me than that."

"Huh." Dare's tone clearly said he didn't understand what I was talking about.

I grinned, "I can't wait to see how you react when it hits you."

"When what hits me?"

"Love."

Dare scoffed, "Nope. Not happening."

"It will." I told him confidently and then, not so confidently asked, "Are we good?"

Dare sighed, "We're good. I'm sorry I fucked up your pretty face."

I shook my head, "I deserved it."

"No, you didn't. I should have known that if you were getting tangled up with Andie, she must be something special to you."

"She is."

"Then you need to get over to my parent's house and fix her. She's not eating, Man."

"I know. Justin just told me. That's where I was headed when you came in."

"You two kiss and make up?" Justin, apparently having heard his name took that as an invitation to interrupt. Dare and I both flipped him off, which just made Justin laugh. We were all smiling again, and it felt damned good.

"Let's go. I'll drive." Dare said and we headed out. When we were just a block away from his parent's house, Dare added, "It's my fault that she's depressed. I could see how much it hurt you when you said you'd stop seeing her if I wanted you to. I wanted you to hurt, in that moment, and I didn't think about how much it would hurt her. I'm a fucking asshole."

"We're both assholes. We will mature eventually, right?"

"God, I hope so." Dare said, seriously, which shocked me. His philosophy had always been fun first, consequences be damned. I didn't have time to ask him if something had changed for him recently, because we had arrived.

I stared up at the house for a minute and asked, "What if she won't see me? What if I fucked it up and she won't forgive me?"

"Jesus, I can't take this mopey shit. Just get in there and find out." Dare said and exited the car. I followed and we both received a watery-eyed look from his mom and a stern look from his dad. I opened my mouth to apologize to them both, but Dare said, "Hunter is a good Dude. He'll be good for Andie, and I know he'll treat her right."

His mom's eyes widened, but his dad looked amused when he said, "Well, glad we got that straightened out."

I smiled and then followed Dare up the stairs, where I found him knocking on Andie's door, "Open up, Andie."

"Go away, Darrin."

"Please open the door. I brought you something."

"I don't care what it is. Go away."

I stepped next to him and said, softly, "Andie?"

The door flew open a second later and she stared at us wide-eyed, her eyes darting back and forth between Dare and I, who stood shoulder-to-shoulder. Then she threw herself into my arms. I caught her and buried my nose against her neck, as I whispered, "I'm so sorry. I never should have left the way that I did. I love you so much."

"I love you too." She whispered and my heart expanded.

"Well, this is fun." Dare said dryly.

Andie pulled back and glared at her brother, "I'm mad at you."

Dare nodded, "I know, and you have every right to be. I'm sorry."

"You two are friends again?" She asked, hopeful.

"We were never not friends. I just had to make him sweat for a bit." Dare said, clapped me on the shoulder and then went back downstairs. I took the opportunity to kiss my girl senseless. Now that I had my girl back in my arms and my best friend was ok with us being together, my world felt right again. I hadn't been kidding. I did want to marry Andie, but I'd wait awhile as we still needed to get to know each other more. I wanted to know everything about her and wanted her to know everything about me. I wanted to explore everything and anything with her. I never thought I could feel the things that I was feeling, and I couldn't wait to see what the future held for us.

END - PART ONE (Hunter and Andie)