two

eila kahn

After I agreed to that man's blackmail, he had one of the troopers drive me home. I'm not sure if they're aware of the conditions of my release, but they didn't seem pleased that I was being let out without a scratch. The smug smirk on my face wasn't helping my case either. Part of me felt on top of the world for walking out without a scratch. The other half humbled itself and reminded me of the conditions.

As soon as I arrived at the building, I rushed up the stairs of the apartment building. When I opened the door I didn't expect to see my brother. It was almost two in the morning and considering he's five, he should've been asleep. But he ran up to me and greeted me with tears in his eyes. He hugged my legs, squeezing me tighter than he ever had.

"E-Eila. W-Where were you?" Theo stuttered over his words and I can't imagine how scared he must've been.

"Theo," I knelt down, rubbing his back to soothe him. Seeing him like this broke my heart.

He's used to me being gone during the day. When my parents were first taken away, Maven helped me care for him when I wasn't around. We would take turns skipping school. Now he stays home alone but knows the exact time I'll be home. But today after school, I came home then told him I would be back with his mango. We've gone over drills and every scenario for if I'm not home at the time I said I would.

"I thought you weren't coming back," he could barely speak through his tears. I sighed, kissing his hair. His hair was in several twists that I did for his hair.

"I'll always come back, Theo. I'm never leaving you," I whispered quietly into his ear, continuing to hold him close. I would never leave my brother. I would fight to get him back if anyone ever tried to take him away from me. But things aren't always in my control, and I know we both need to be prepared for the worst. "But do you remember what I said?"

Theo took in deep breaths, doing his best to calm himself down. "If you don't come back, go to Maven's apartment," he started off.

"And then?"

"And then she'll take me to the fire station and they'll ask me questions, but I tell them I don't understand," he finished and I slowly nodded.

If anything ever happened to me, I needed to know that my brother would be taken care of. Kids without a name and home don't come to the police station often, but if it occurs, I know if they're younger they're put with a family. And if they're older, they're put in an apartment to live on their own with government support. Minimal support. Much like how we're living now.

"Good. But it'll never come to that. I'm not leaving you, bud. You're stuck with me until my skin is wrinkly," I tickled his belly. He broke into unending laughter that filled up the entire apartment. "You ate?"

He nodded as he let go of me. Using the back of his hand, he wiped his remaining tears from his face then looked at me with this big brown eyes.

"And took a bath," he proudly said. "I was waiting for you. Can you read me a story before bed?"

Bedtime stories aren't something I have time to read him every night. Between home schooling him, attending my last year of school and being apart of the Resistance, I'm exhausted. But I can hardly ever say no to my brother.

Standing to my feet, we walked together to his bedroom. The apartment only has one bedroom and despite being able to share, I found importance in letting my brother have his own space. My clothes still remained in his closet, but the couch was my bed.

I read my brother his bedtime story, making sure to not hold back. No matter how tired I was or how cheesy this was, I was going to make the most of this story time. It didn't take long for Theo to fall asleep and I quietly left the bedroom after grabbing my pyjamas. I went to the bathroom and took a shower. My hair was tucked away in a shower cap that hid my long knotless braids. Braids were the easiest hairstyle for the busy lifestyle that I've had.