four

eila kahn

"Little dipper," Theo pointed out the constellations while we laid on a blank. He rarely goes out at night and when we do, we're always super careful about it being past curfew. Today we were watching the stars. Not far from the barn is a patch of flat green grass that's isolated in the forest. It's becoming our favourite thing to do. It started off as an excuse to get him out the house. Now I need it more than ever to clear my head.

"Correct," I took a bite out of my dried mango. I pointed out more constellations, having him repeat everything that I say. He's only five, but he's already incredibly smart and I wish he had the opportunity to go to school and interact with other children his age. He's never expressed an interest in wanting to meet other kids, but I know it's because he doesn't want to make me feel bad.

"I want to go to space," he expressed and I turned my head to look at him.

"Like an astronaut?"

"Yup," he dipped his hand into the bag of dried mangoes. Despite how impossible our society is, there was no way I wasn't going to make that dream happen for him. He, more than anyone, deserves to have his dreams come true. "I'm going to go to every planet."

I smiled at him as he rambled on about the different planets and all the stars. I wanted to tear up from how eagerly I wanted him to achieve his goals. Even if it was just a five year old giving me an outrageous career choice. I wanted to tear up thinking that my parents might never get to see the amazing kid he'll grow up to become. They might never know how smart and funny he is. I've been all he's had for the past year and I'm convinced he doesn't even remember our parents.

The smile on my face disappeared when I heard a branch nearby snap. I quickly sat up and looked around, but didn't see anyone. But I was already completely alert and aware of the fact that someone was here with us. This wasn't our first time coming out here, but it's past curfew. Troopers don't walk out here and people shouldn't be outside their homes.

"We should go back," I quietly said, hoping he wouldn't panic.

"Already?" Theo complained but still got onto his feet. I folded the blanket and grabbed his hand for us to go. The walk to the apartment required us to trek through a bit of the forest that now felt longer than usual.

Suddenly my body stopped when my brother stopped walking. "Theo," I turned around and watched the hand wrapped around my brother's neck. It was Will's hand. When I stepped forward to do something, cold metal touched my neck from behind. I swallowed, fighting to urge to still reach for my brother. But I was worried that if I did, Will would hurt him. "Will, I swear, if you don't let him go."

"Or what, Eila?" Will had the most devilish smile. My heartbeat was thudding in my ears and it felt like everything was crumbling down. "So this is little Theo? Isn't he supposed to be dead?"

"Eila," Theo's voice shook and he looked at me with watery eyes.

Will and I have never been friends. But we've always gone to the same schools and basically grew up together. His mother was close with mine, so he was completely aware of my brother's birth and his 'death.'

"I wonder what troopers would do if they found out about him," Will said receiving laughter from the man behind me. My breaths became uneven and my bones felt like they were rattling. This felt like some sick joke and I wanted to throw up. When my body moved forward the slightest bit, the knife digging deeper into my skin. I felt the tear in the skin on my neck.

"What is wrong with you? Leave him alone or I promise, I will make you fucking regret this," I gritted through my teeth, not caring how deep the cut was getting.