part two

The winner takes it all

"MAX VERSTAPPEN, FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER, IS CHAMPION OF THE WORLD!"  Crofty's voice boomed out of the speakers in the red bull garage.
Lilia jumped out of her seat, cheering loudly along with the rest of the crew. It was a magical moment after the immense suspense of the safety car; no one had really expected this outcome after Lewis' dominance for almost the entire race.

She bounced around from person to person, offering hugs and jovial shouting.. but somewhere in the back of her mind she was worried. Of course, every part of her wants her team to do well; for Max to win, but she knew all about the pressure that would come with this next season. Driving in her first season of formula 1 alongside the world champion.. she knew she had to prove herself. But right now, in this moment, she decided celebrating was her only focus.

She and the other team members all poured out of the garage to head towards where the cars of Max, Lewis and Carlos pulled into their respective slots.

Max jumped out of his car and onto the nose, standing victorious; celebrating not only his race win but also his championship.
He punched the air with passion and pride, scanning the crowd and beaming from ear to ear under his helmet as he observed all of the support he was receiving from the fans.

In second place, Lewis was the polar opposite of this. He remained seated, his head down; bewildered at the decisions of the FIA and how his 8th championship had slipped away from him in just a couple of laps.

The first thing Lilia did was go over to his car and shake his hand. After all, he was a man that had respected her so greatly in the recent years and supported her following continuous sexism in the media and even from others in the sport.
"You raced well, Lewis. Great season." She told him.
"Thanks, Lils." He replied through a disappointed sigh.

Then she made her way over to Max, along with the entirety of the redbull crew. Max threw himself from the car into the pool of people that caught him and lifted him up, cheering loudly. Lilia wormed her way into the crowd and got involved, smiling and cheering also.

On returning to the floor, Max proceeded to remove his helmet, revealing his messy, sweaty post-race hair that he didn't even bother to try and sort out since he was so ecstatic with the victory.
Then he shook hands with all of the team. Of course, he went to Christian first.

"You have driven like a champion all year, you absolutely deserve that.. we absolutely fucking love you." Christian said to Max.
"Thank you Christian, I love you guys so fucking much!" Max said.

He went to Kelly next, his girlfriend, who grabbed his face and kissed him. But honestly, he didn't seem truly focused on her. Instead he simply accepted her affection and then turned away, continuing to float around and briefly speak to the rest of the people around him.

Then he reached Lilia, who offered out her hand.
"Congratulations, Max." She said.
He grinned at her, and instead of shaking her hand, pulled her in for a hug. As he did so, he whispered in her ear:
"Well, good luck next year, rookie."
And then he moved away, teasing her with a wink, to which she responded by rolling her eyes, but smiling as she did so.

He was damn well right and she knew that

Competing with such aggressive, brilliant talent is likely going to be the hardest thing Lilia is ever going to have to do in her whole career. She wouldn't admit it, but it does scare her. Despite the brave face she puts on, and the win at all cost mentality that she displays in the car, she worries. Worries that she won't be good enough. Specifically for her father.

That is one thing she understands about Max. They don't even really talk about it with each other a lot, but they don't have to.
They just sort of.. get each other in that respect.

The rest of the night was filled with interviews, a hell of a lot of champagne..
And, of course, the party tonight that the redbull team were going to have was going to be fucking insane.