Abu Dhabi: flashback

After the hectic night, Max lay on his back in front of the toilet, groaning in discomfort after throwing up.

He heard his father's laughter coming closer. "You live and you learn, son!" Jos said.
"I'm.. never drinking.. ever.. again." Max spoke in between hiccups.
"Only next year when you win another title!" Jos said. "You've beaten Mercedes now, it's only going to get better." He said.
"Lilia looks good too." Max said.
"Hm. Maybe, but, you're stronger. I don't see you ever getting beaten by a woman." He said, laughing.
"Good racer. Good kisser too." Max said.
Jos kept laughing. "Has she already tried it on with one of the drivers? Is that how she got her seat?" He said.
"She's pretty. I've always wanted to kiss her." He drunkenly wittered on as he stared at the ceiling, not even noticing his father at this point.

Jos' face turned from cheerful and merry to dark and dangerous in a split second.
"Max." He said in a serious tone.
Max turned to look at him. "Oh hey dad!" He said with a spaced out smile.
"You kissed that Lilia girl?" Jos asked.
Max gasped comically. "What- no. Noo.." he said unconvincingly.
"Max Verstappen I am not playing around." Jos said through gritted teeth.
"Alright, I did. How did you even know?! We were hiding." He said, giggling.
"You are a fucking idiot." He snarled.

Max stayed quiet; he could see level of the anger his father was displaying.

Jos slammed his fist against the wall. "Are you trying to ruin your career?! She's your teammate for one, and no, I didn't see you, and you're fucking lucky I didn't. Not only that but anybody in that room could've seen it. You and Kelly are in a relationship-"

"I don't want to be in a relationship with Kelly! I don't love Kelly-"

"HOW MANY TIMES AM I GOING TO HAVE TO DISCUSS THIS WITH YOU?!" Jos yelled. It sent Max silent very quickly.
"You and Kelly being together is for the greater good of our family and hers. The whole point of this is to avoid the media getting involved in your private life and you publicly choose to potentially fuck it all up by kissing some stupid girl? I can't have this.. so you'll propose to Kelly." He said.

Max couldn't speak. Couldn't argue his side at all. He was in a state of terror at what his father might do if he tried.

"And we're not negotiating it. I'm telling you that you're going to marry her and stay with her. As well as that you're going to stay far, far away from that teammate of yours. I don't want to see you speaking to her, not even about team business if you can avoid it. Do you understand me?" Jos said coldly. Max just looked at him.

"I said..  do you understand me?" He repeated
"Yes." Max breathed out, staring at the ceiling again.

"Stupid fucking boy. You've never focused enough on your career. You're lucky you even won this title." Jos spat before he walked out of the bathroom.

Max took a shaky breath as he used all of his strength to stop the tears falling from his eyes. When one managed to roll down his cheek, he quickly smacked it away and got up. His face was grey, but he didn't feel sick anymore, just vacant.