part three

Backstory~
Abu Dhabi 2021 , the after party.

On returning to the hotel she was staying at, Lilia instantly dashed off to her room and started scouting through her wardrobe for something to wear to the after party that Redbull would host in celebration of the end of the season, and of course, Max's first world title. And after a long time spent pondering, she decided on her favourite red dress despite her insecurities that she might be going too over the top. It was a long-ish length, made from a sort of satin material that was very comfortable to wear. This is an important night that isn't something that happens every day, so going all out is important. She told herself: there's nothing wrong with putting in some effort.

So she got dressed, applied some relatively unnatural makeup compared to what she would usually choose, and curled her hair before heading down to the car park to drive herself to the address of the party. She knew it would be safe to just take her car since she didn't particularly enjoy drinking much alcohol anyway.

***

When she entered the penthouse, she was greeted with blasting music and loud voices.
"WEEEE ARE THE CHAMPIOOONSS MY FRIEEENDDDD!" They sung which made her smile, and also realise that she had definitely turned up here a lot later than everyone else since everyone had clearly been celebrating for a while now.

She noticed Max in the middle of it all, holding 2 bottles of champagne- one in each hand- which he drunk from in turn. He caught sight of her and grinned, handing one of the bottles over to a man on his right and using his hand to wave at her, gesturing her over to him. She waved back and nodded, starting to make her way across the room.

"Helloooo Liliaaaa" The drunken Dutchman's voice slurred as she approached.
She laughed. "Hellooo Max" She imitated him.
"Are you teasing meee?" He questioned as they both broke away from the crowd to a more quiet area.
"I am, because you are so fucking drunk." She said.
"Drunk? Hahahahahaaa no way!" He said.
"How many of those have you had?" She asked, gesturing to the margarita that was now in his hand.
"Like 3 or 8 or something!" He said.
"3 and 8 are two very different numbers." She said, still giggling at his drunken state.
"Mhm.. because you are an 8 and I am a 3!" He said

"What?" She said, totally confused but absolutely loving drunk Max's nonchalant vibe.
"I meaaannnn you're pretty and I'm not!" He said.
"You jealous of my dress?" She said.
"Yesssss.. but you look perfect in it." He told her.
"Why thank you, Max." She said.
"You're so beautiful Lilia." He said, smiling mindlessly at her.
She giggled. "Drunk words are sober thoughts?" She said.
"If only we weren't going to be teammates.. I should make you my wife!" He said.

She started to tense up a bit now, looking around. Of course she knew he was drunk out of his mind, but all of his joking and flirting was very public. "Shouldn't you go back to your girlfriend and say these things to her, Max?"
"Girlfriend? What girlfriend?" He said
"Kelly."She said.
"Ohhh, Kelly! No no, it's all fakeeee we aren't even dating!" He said, laughing.
"Sure.." she said, not believing him whatsoever. It made her feel a little guilty.
"I wish I didn't have to do it." He said, nudging closer to Lilia.
"What are you doing, Max?" She said in a hushed tone.
"I just want to kiss youuuu." He said, closer to her than he had ever been before. It shocked Lilia. Her and Max had barely held a proper conversation since their karting days, and back then they were literally 10-12 years old.

Her eyes widened. "Okay, well, first of all you can't. And if you were going to do that then you definitely can't right here in front of everyone!" She hissed at him. He laughed, the smell of alcohol filling her senses.
"Lilsssyyy" He said.
"Never call me that again." She said.
"Heheheee.." He giggled like a little kid.
"I think you need to give it a rest from those drinks.." She said, easily taking the margarita from his hand before he could even react.
"Heyyy!" He said after he processed what she had done. She downed the drink as he attempted to snatch it back.

He stuck out his bottom lip and she laughed. "Seriously, you need some water or else you'll be throwing up all over the place.." She said.
"Do you care about meeeee?" He asked.
"No.." She mumbled.
"Lilsyy you're cuteeeee." He said.
She slapped his arm playfully. "I said never call me that again, Max." She said.
"Whyyyyyy?" He questioned.
"Because it's annoying." She said.
"You're annoying!" He said, then suddenly his facial expression changed from one of blissful happiness to discomfort and perhaps panic, and he clutched at his stomach with one hand, and his mouth with the other.
"Fucking hell, Max." Lilia said, grabbing his arm and dragging him out of the room. The bathroom was straight across from them in the hallway, and so she took him in there, closing the door behind.

Max flopped down onto the floor next to the toilet, then he started to laugh again.
Lilia looked at him, frowning. "What?" She said.
"You were so worried!" He said,
"Because you were about to vomit all over me." She said.
"No I wasn't!" He said, still laughing. "I was pretending.." He said, like he was proud of himself.
"Why- you know what, never mind." She said, turning around to leave him in the bathroom.
"Wait!" He shouted. She paused; her back to him, hand hovering above the door handle.

Max stood up and she turned around to face him as he practically stumbled over to her. Lilia looked up at him as he got closer and closer, until she was leaning against the door and he had his hands around her waist.
"I'm sorry." He mumbled.
"Yeah.. it's fine.." She said, her face turning a bright red colour as she avoided looking at him.
He moved his left hand to her face, placing it under her chin and lifting her head so it was level with his.
He smiled at her. "You really are beautiful Lilia." He said.
"Please, can I kiss you?" He asked her.
"Max- you're so drunk, I don't think this is a good idea." She said.
"But I do.." He said.
"You're pissed off your head." She said.
"You said it yourself, drunk words are sober thoughts." He said, grinning at her. She said absolutely nothing, just stared at him.

Until now, she'd never been this close to Max, and suddenly all kinds of thoughts were flying around her head. How attractive he actually was, even if his eyes were actually struggling to keep themselves open, and his smile was all wonky due to how intoxicated he was. She thought about how he was still being quite respectful with her, not making any more advances than what she had so far reciprocated, and asking for permission to kiss her. It was something she would admire in any man, and it made her feel warm. Details like the beautiful blue colour of his eyes, and the shape of his nose that she hadn't ever focused on before were something she admired now, even noticing the small freckles on his skin.

There was still guilt. Kelly. Lilia was aware that he said something about them not actually dating, but more or less assumed he was bullshitting her. Or was he? That possibility that he was telling the truth really encouraged her to ignore her moral compass. Maybe she'd clarify with him at a later time. But right now, would it be so wrong if she actually wanted to kiss him too?

Max's gaze moved from her eyes to her lips and back again. They stood like this for what felt like an eternity, tension building between them, until Lilia broke the silence.

"Fine." She said.
"What?" He said.
"Kiss me, you idiot." She said.