004 : music-producing machine

MARCH 2022

upon arriving home, haoyu shrugs off her cardigan and kicks off her incredibly uncomfortable shoes. she unzips her bootcut jeans and removes her turtleneck. after placing them in their respective locations, the girl changes into loungewear. mint green silk shorts and a matching tank top. her hair clings to her scalp after her shower.

"what should i eat? i haven't had much today." she mutters to herself. she opens up the sleek, metallic grey refrigerator and searches for a meal.

"wow." she says after looking for a solid five minutes. "i need to go grocery shopping. this is horrible." haoyu shuts it closed and begins looking through her cabinets.

after finding literally nothing, haoyu decides to order in and waits for the meal to arrive.

her eyes flicker over the quiet, empty apartment. too big for one person to live in, she remembers telling her mother. her persistence resulted in haoyu signing the lease.

the apartment began with that sleek, shiny, solid black door with its matching handles. the floor plan is very open, the entrance leading to the kitchen and dining area. the kitchen is against the wall on the right, with a marbled island and immaculate finish on the cabinets. it is white and grey, just like her dining table.

step forward and you notice a slight pivot as you enter the lounge/living room. continue down the path and her bedroom is on the right with the connected master bathroom and spacious walk-in closet.

the space is homey, yet unfamiliar. as if she's living in another person's home.

to waste the time, she picks up a copy of "a fault in our stars" that she's been procrastinating on. but who wants to finish a story about two kids who are in love and have cancer? we're all painfully aware of its ending. she takes her time so it wouldn't be as heartbreaking.

it is still soul-crushing.

her food arrives minutes later and here she is, watching a new episode of some wacky dating show, laying out her meal for the night on the glass coffee table. she ordered black bean noodles and a soft drink. she says grace before digging in. she eats and watches the show with intent. it is so bad that she cannot get enough of it.

after finishing her dinner, she trashes the styrofoam and plastic containers and turns off her tv before heading up to bed.

this time, she sleeps with ease.

the next morning, haoyu heads off to work. a neutral expression coats her face as she makes it to the building four minutes early. the once snobby clerk intently watches haoyu clock in every morning. by the time she clocks out, a new girl stands behind the desk.

haoyu steps into the elevator along with a few employees. her presence does not go unnoticed. a few murmurs catch her ear. "promotion" and "sun haoyu" and "hitmaker" she smiles softly at all these new terms.

in the next few minutes, haoyu makes it to her office. a small, cozy one it is. it is littered with her favorite knick knacks: candles, figurines and stickers. there is a small record player in the corner. her name sits upon the wooden block, carved in brass lettering.

she cannot get enough of this. she feels a rush of euphoria the moment she sits down.

"it is better than my own home." she muttered to herself one day.

her macbook laptop has been replaced with dual monitors and a fast pc unit for saving and digitalizing files. her phone can be easily connected to her computer and to the speakers embedded in the ceilings.