« The Fair »

Skies were near cloudless and the air comfortably warm on that peculiar summer day. All around town people were preparing for barbecues, and the Main Street was decorated with red, white and blue. Banners were hanging from the buildings and ribbons were strung between lampposts. Earlier in the noon, a large parade had taken over most of the street and several other festivities had taken place during the rest of the day.

In a peculiar blue house near the edge of the woods, a family was gathering for dinner in the backyard. Maddie Wachowski had just called for her daughter as well as the blue alien hedgehog that now resided in the house for dinner. Before she even had the chance to sit down, Sonic appeared at the table. Immediately he reached for a plate and placed a hot dog bun as well as two sausages on it. He quickly began crafting his own chili dog from said ingredients. Y/N walked through the doorway and into the garden. Taking a seat across her mother and next to the hedgehog, she too grabbed a plate for herself. On it she took two buns and a burger patty from which she began creating her dinner.

"So, we have some fireworks leftover from New Year's and Tom and I were thinking, maybe we could fire 'em up today. How's that sound?" Maddie said, looking between the pair. She took a bite out of her burger clearly waiting for one of the two teens to answer.

Sonic glanced at Y/N who in turn looked at him. The two had plans for the evening but weren't sure how to tell that to Maddie, because she couldn't know what they were planning to do.

"I was gonna hit the hay early," Sonic said, causing Maddie to raise her eyebrows. Quickly, Sonic pretended to look tired and fake yawned, saying, "I'm so tired."

Y/N turned her gaze from the hedgehog to her mother. Taking inspiration from Sonic, she too yawned, "Yeah. Me too."

Maddie looked between the two, her gaze constantly passing from one to another. "What's got you two so tired that you don't wanna celebrate?" she asked.

"Oh you know. Running around," replied Sonic.

Now that didn't make any sense. Placing her burger down on her plate, Maddie stated, "You've been inside almost all day." She took a paper towel from the stand and wiped her fingers. Placing her elbows against the table, she leaned her chin against her hands. Turning the family dinner into an interrogation, she asked, "What are you two up to?"

Hearing her more serious tone and realizing that she had caught on to their fakeout, Sonic and Y/N looked at one another. They had planned to not give in so easily, and just keep up their play of acting tired. Now however, with the task actually at hand, it was surprisingly much harder.

Y/N tried to continue on with the act and said, "We're just tired."

"Tired. Definitely," Sonic added.

Maddie shook her head, "No. You two are acting weird."

"No we're not," Sonic replied.

"We're just so exhausted... That's why we seem weird," Y/N explained.

Maddie took her arms off the table. Now crossing them she said, "So, if you two go to sleep after we're done eating, I'm gonna find you tucked in your beds when I come to check on you in an hour?"

Again, Y/N and Sonic glanced at one another. In unison the pair turned to Maddie and said, "Yes."

"Where else would we be? I mean there's nothing else happening in town," said Sonic. That statement immediately sparked a reaction from Y/N who turned to him with vigor. Taking notice of this, Sonic glanced at her and immediately realized the mistake he had just made. "I... Um..." He began stammering.

Too bad Maddie had already caught on. As Sonic stuttered trying to form a sentence, Maddie smirked. "So that's what you two were planning," she said, shaking her head. "You were gonna sneak out and go to the fair."