« The Hero »

Hallways of the school were normally empty of students by that time, but on this particular Friday, two were strolling through them as they headed for the exit. Y/N was closing the buttons of her jacket as beside her, Eddie adjusted the beanie covering his messy hair.

"Thanks again for helping on such short notice," said Eddie as the two passed the janitor who was whistling as he scrubbed the floors.

"It's nothing," Y/N replied. "Though I still think the goat story should make frontpage."

Eddie snickered, "Tell me what's more interesting: UFOs or an old goat?"

"An old goat of course. That one you can at least prove with photographic evidence which your story doesn't have," said Y/N as Eddie pushed open the door.

Y/N shivered as the cold bit her skin. Piles of snow were here and there, and a good layer of frost was covering the black asphalt. The first snow had landed some time ago, and ever since then more and more had come to cover the town. It was only a matter of time for the full blown winter to take over Green Hills.

"I have photographic evidence—" Eddie started.

"A blurry image of an airplane doesn't count," said Y/N.

"I'm telling you it wasn't an airplane. It was much lower and shaped entirely different."

Y/N rolled her eyes and shook her head. She of course knew of aliens but spaceships in the sky were a bit too much for her to believe in. The picture Eddie had shown her was taken during the night so it was dark and rather blurry, and all you could really tell about it was that it was of something white in the sky. What that something was, Y/N couldn't be too sure, but it certainly wasn't a spaceship. Of course not knowing what it was for sure technically made it an unidentified flying object, which in turn technically made his story true.

The two reached the parking lot which by the time was empty apart from one car. "I'm guessing you want to walk again?" said Eddie.

Y/N glanced first at him and then at the only vehicle on the lot. The car was an older hatchback and looked exactly like something he would drive. Its deep red paint was covered in blotches of dirt and the windshield had a crack in it. She turned her gaze forward and said, "You live on the other side of town and I don't wanna waste your gas."

Eddie laughed, earning a surprised look from the girl. "The other side of town?" he asked. "You do know we live in Green Hills and not New York?"

"You know what I mean," shequickly said back.

"I know and I'm telling you that it barely adds anything to my trip."

Y/N looked at the car again. Driving would be much faster than having to walk and it would be nicer considering the weather. Also, riding with him would give her a chance to ask about that thing. Sighing, she walked up to the passenger side door and looked at Eddie. "You happy?"

Eddie grinned, and not long after the two were seated in the car. As Eddie flipped on the engine, music which by no chance Y/N could recognize began blasting ear-piercingly loudly from the speakers. The car accelerated away, leaving the school behind.

Because the drive home wouldn't be long, Y/N knew if she wanted to hear any news she would have to start asking now. Talking loudly to make sure Eddie was to hear her over the music, she said, "Is this a safe place to talk?" Last time she had tried asking him had been at the school and it had sent the boy in a frenzy about how someone could be listening to them.

Eddie nodded as he turned the music down just enough to make talking with a normal voice viable again. "Safest there is," he said.

"Then you know what I'm gonna ask you about," said Y/N.