« The Plunge »

Students kept piling out of the classrooms and into the hallways. The hallways oozed with the smell of sweat as more and more students kept appearing and walking over to their lockers. It was bad enough that it happened to be the warmest day of the summer, but it also just so happened to be a school day. In the middle of the crowd escaping from the musty old classroom was Y/N. Students taller than her kept blocking her way as she tried her best to make her way out of the crowds and outside of the building. While she did have a locker and books that she didn't need for the weekend, there was no point in trying to get there. All she wanted to do was get home.

As she tried to avoid being trampled by the seniors, she could hear her name being called out from somewhere behind. She immediately sighed, not wanting to socialize under the current circumstances. The voice that was calling for her belonged to a boy, and one she had already had the pleasure of meeting prior to this occasion. Not only had they crossed paths on the first day of school, but also once over the course of the passing summer. Whatever the boy wanted to talk about definitely had something to do with what he had suggested earlier that same week.

"Hey, Camericana!" the boy shouted again, trying to gain her attention. The students walking in front of Y/N glanced behind them and at the odd boy. "I know you can hear me!" he added.

"I can't if I have headphones on," the girl muttered, not that she did have headphones. But knowing her, she totally could have had.

"Wachowski!" he called again, now from much closer to her. Realizing the boy would sooner than later reach her anyway, she came to the only logical conclusion at hand. Looking behind her, she could see the long-haired boy peeking from behind a few people. She turned back around and continued on her way, slightly slower than before to allow him to reach her. As he appeared beside her, he immediately said, "So, you have enough time to think about my proposal?"

Y/N squinted her eyes, weirded out about the word choice, and glanced at him. "Your proposal?" she questioned.

"You know exactly what I'm talking about," he told her right away.

And that she did. Sighing, she lightly shook her head as she thought over the idea. "How many readers did you have again?" she asked.

"Around three hundred more than you do now," he replied.

The girl scoffed, "That's funny."

"Thank you. That's what I aim for," he said while nodding.

Y/N glanced at him again, her brows furrowed. How was it that this weirdo had been put in charge of the school newspaper? He was the total opposite of a reputable journalist. Or at least anything Y/N had ever imagined a journalist to be like.

"So what is the verdict?" he inquired, as Y/N pushed open the front door. The two teens left the confines of the poorly air conditioned school and were now under the mercy of the hot sun.

Again, the girl glanced at the boy. Instead of just answering the question, she asked, "How can you dress like that?" —referring to his dark clothes, going from his jeans all the way to the black t-shirt adorned with the logo of some metal band Y/N had never heard of.

"Oh come on. You're really trying to change the topic now?" the boy grinned.

Y/N shook her head, "Why are you so insistent on me? We've been here for three days." Taking a quick glance around her to see other students that were also walking away from the school, she motioned to them with her hand, "There's more people to ask from."

"Correction, you've been here for three days. I've been here for three years, which means this one is my last," the boy told her. There was no hesitancy on his part as he went on to say, "I wouldn't ask you if I didn't know you're the best choice when it comes to taking over the paper."