« The House »

Decorations were here and there around the yard. Sonic and Y/N were standing on the covered porch, waiting for the door to open. In the horizon, the sun was getting lower, ready to bring the evening over the town. It was a good day; no clouds and just the right amount of chill in the air. The perfect day for festivities.

"Why did we have to come all the way over here?" Sonic asked, his foot repeatedly tapping against the porch.

"'Cause dad said we'd come here and Mrs. Landry is a nice woman," Y/N said. "And come on, if it comes to it we can just speed through the whole town."

From inside the house, Y/N and Sonic could hear footsteps getting closer. The two glanced at one another, the latter grinning from ear to ear. As the doorknob twisted, the duo turned back to the door.

"Trick or Treat!" the couple dressed said in unison to Mrs. Landry —the elderly woman who opened the door.

The two were dressed as werewolves. Sort of.

Sonic's costume was mostly just his body, but now with dyed fur. The dye they had used was marketed as gray, and it probably was gray, but that had not been the end result. Instead, the dye had turned most of his fur dark blue with the only exceptions being his normally cream furred patches on his body and on his muzzle which had become bluish-gray. Because they didn't have time to re-dye him, that's how he now was. Other accessories completing the costume were grayish gloves with nails and some extra fur around the wrists and fake fangs.

Y/N's costume was a mix between a werewolf and the Little Red Riding Hood. A very basic but quick costume to pair up with Sonic's werewolf. She had a red cape with gray wolf ears poking out from inside the hood. Parts of her clothes were tattered, such as the hem of her red skirt and the sleeves of the white shirt. Originally she had planned to use a wicker basket to carry the candy in, but upon realizing she only had a way too big one and a way too small one she had decided to go with a pillowcase just like Sonic. And as always, she had brought her camera.

These costumes were not the only ones they had considered, but in the end the decision had become somewhat of a last minute one. Other ideas thrown around included Sonic as Spider-Man and Y/N as Gwen Stacy, but due to the Spider-Man costume not exactly fitting on Sonic's body —especially around his head— the two had tossed the idea. That is when they realized they had to somehow make the costume work around Sonic's alien form. Sonic had hated the idea of going as a ghost as he felt it was too generic. Then came the idea of using Sonic's head as part of the costume and that's how we end up here, at the porch of Mrs. Landry, dressed as two werewolves.

Mrs. Landry smiled. "Happy Halloween!" she said and grabbed a bowl from inside the house. Said bowl was filled with candy bars of different types.

Sonic and Y/N each grabbed a bar from the bowl and thanked her.

As the couple were about to turn away and leave for the next house, Mrs. Landry said, "Oh come on. Take an extra one for your parents. And maybe an extra for yourself too."

"Really?" Y/N asked, surprised by the suggestion.

"Sure. I never get that many trick-or-treaters and end up eating all the chocolate by myself," she replied.

Y/N frowned and glanced around the yard. Pumpkin lanterns and other decorations were placed around it. It was not that elaborate, but still showed that the woman cared about the holiday, as did the candy bowl filled to the brim. To think that people were not coming here was disappointing to hear, especially since Mrs. Landry was such a likable person.

She turned back to Mrs. Landry and grabbed an extra bar from the bowl. "I'll make sure to tell everyone to come here," she said.

"Oh, you don't have to do that," Mrs. Landry waved her off. Her gaze then shifted to Sonic, standing still beside her. "Is this your cousin?" she asked, motioning toward the boy.