« The Gift »

Ever since the snow had landed, the small town of Green Hills had looked nothing like its name claimed. Layers of white covered the forests, and roadsides were filled with piles of snow. Chimneys of the many small houses were pouring smoke, and while many of the houses might have been blue, only one was the blue house our story takes place in.

Music was softly playing from the speakers in the room of Y/N Wachowski. Had the girl not been as busy as she was, she would have opted to listen to one of the records from her collection, but due to the demanding nature of what she was doing, accompanied with vinyl records needing to be turned every thirty or so minutes, the girl had to settle for streaming. Nearly the whole hardwood floor was hidden beneath photographs and more and more kept piling in. The pictures began from the side of the bed and went all the way across the room to beneath the window where they met the wall. Sitting cross-legged in the middle of the mess was the girl herself. A pile of more pictures was beside her, and every few moments she would grab one from it, examine it, and then either place it into one one of the lines going from wall to wall, or into a second pile. This she kept repeating over and over, filling line after line with pictures. With the rate she was going, she would be ready in a couple hours and ready to pick the final shots, but even after that she wouldn't be done.

Had it not been for a screwup by the postal office earlier in the month, she would've had this whole project out of her hair nearly two weeks ago. But, because the mail had lost her first order, and then the second order had accidentally gotten shuffled by the company that she had ordered the prints from, the girl was now forced to not only get the pictures in the correct order but also finish the rest of her project by midnight.

Groaning, Y/N stretched her arms. She had already been here for an hour. How could she keep going on like that? Still, she fought through and continued. With how concentrated she was on her photographs, she nearly missed the rather loud knocks on her door, but even when she did finally hear the knocks, it was on the third try. "Who is it?" she asked without stopping.

"Just me," came her mother's voice from the other side. "Can I come in?"

"Are you alone?" Y/N inquired.

"I just told you it's just me," Maddie replied.

Y/N rolled her eyes. "Okay, then."

The door opened and Maddie stepped inside the room. "Are you sure you want to spend Christmas Eve—"

"What are you doing? Close the door!" Y/N said quickly. Maddie raised her eyebrows, surprised by the demand. "Just do it now," Y/N said.

"Okay, okay," said Maddie and shut the door. "There. Calm down." With a sigh, Y/N turned back to the pictures. Maddie scratched her head as she watched her daughter. "What exactly are you up to here?" she asked.

"Well what's it look like? I'm clearly reading," Y/N snarled.

Maddie placed her hands on her hips. "Can we tone down the sarcasm?"

"Sorry," muttered the girl. She pointed at the book lying beside her, "I'm making a photo album."

That much Maddie could have guessed just from the pictures covering the floor. This wasn't exactly the first time she had stumbled on her daughter with the room overtaken by one of her projects. But it certainly was the first time that it was happening on Christmas Eve, not to mention a Christmas that certainly should've been rather important for her.

Maddie observed the pictures closest to her, trying to make sense of what the album might be for. Most of the photos were just images of the woods as well as some other locations, including a shot of the garage roof, and another taken clearly right outside in the backyard. Not understanding what the theme was, Maddie tried to see the pictures further from her, but the light gave the pictures glare which made them impossible for her to make out.