« The Fall »

An ever-growing sea of colors was covering the forest floor. Leaves of red and orange were dancing around in the draft as they rained from the trees. Dressed in shades mimicking those of the forest, were the girl and the hedgehog. Like always, Y/N had her camera with her, and with that had a brown backpack that, along with some camera related items, was holding food that the two were planning to eat later. The coat she was wearing was new, having only been bought the previous week. It matched nearly perfectly with her crimson boots; only those showed wear. Sonic, on the other hand, wasn't as attired. Still, along with his now classic wardrobe that consisted of his red shoes and white gloves, he wore a piece that was completely new. A scarf made of red wool. This wasn't something that had been bought, though the materials for it naturally had been. It was made by Y/N. While the girl had been battling a mild cold over the previous week, she had spent some of her downtime making this item for her boyfriend. Ever since getting the item, the boy had been wearing it proudly and not just outside.

The day was well into the afternoon, and the couple were deep in the forest, far from the confines of the town. Had it not been for yesterday's storm, the couple most likely would also have spent the previous day in the woods. It had been a while since Sonic had been this far as he no longer had a reason for doing so, but he had been here more than once. For Y/N, however, this was one of the rarer instances. While an avid explorer of nature, she usually found herself closer to the town. This was mainly due to her having made promises to her parents that she would stay within certain limits so as to not get hurt or, possibly more worryingly, come across a bear. Now with Sonic by her side, she felt more comfortable going to the more unknown parts of the woods, as not only did the hedgehog know them rather well, but he could easily help her if the situation called for it.

Leaves scrunched on the ground as the couple walked over them. Both Sonic and Y/N were keenly looking around them, trying to find wildlife to photograph. While not exactly Sonic's cup of tea per se, he couldn't say no to the girl, not that he really even would have done so. These trips to the forest were enjoyable. Today's trip wasn't without a bigger plan, though, as the couple was heading over to the river with plans to have a picnic there.

As Sonic's gaze traversed the sea of trees, he noticed something orange that wasn't a leaf peeking from behind one of them. He stopped walking and grabbed onto Y/N's hand, prompting her to stop as well. The girl looked at the hedgehog who glanced at her and pointed over to the trees, "Look. Between those trees."

Y/N turned her attention to where he was pointing at. It wasn't a tough job to find what he had seen, as parts of the creature's mostly orange pelt had turned grayish. The white-tipped tail was softly swishing behind it as it was sniffing around the ground. The place it was scouring was clearly a deliberate choice, as the area was covered in huckleberry bushes.

The girl crouched as she pointed her camera at the animal. She zoomed closer, snapping a few pictures of it and quietly whispered, "I love foxes." Still crouching, she took steps to get slightly closer to the creature. As she did so, its head sprung up from the ground and turned to her. This immediately prompted her to stop moving and stay still. As quickly as she could, she took one last picture of the fox that was now looking straight at her. As soon as the picture had been taken, the animal turned around and ran away from its spot.

"There it goes," Sonic stated as the fox was rushing through the leaves. It didn't take long for it to vanish into the surroundings, leaving the girl and the hedgehog alone.

Y/N stood up and sighed. It was beautiful in the forest, especially now that it was fall. What bothered her was the minimal amount of wildlife they had come across all day. There had been a couple squirrels, some birds, and now the fox, but mostly it had been rather empty. While the environment was beautiful with all its dashing colors, the girl had already taken countless pictures of it, not that they all were the same. But still, she just really wanted to see more animals.