Chapter 14. HARMONY

*Author's note:The following chapter has mature language. ~❤~

Despite his stoic mannerisms, Satan stands before his once beloved fountain and gazes into the water. He compulsively strokes his beard and glares back at the reflection that now seems to mock him. He grumbles and turns his attention toward his new recruits. As he checks in on them back on Earth, he grins and delights himself with his usual complacent inner monologue:

Aww, New York City! How fitting that their first stop should begin here in this bustling city rich with fine dining and first class entertainment. There are plenty of dark souls to choose from in this wretched, sin filled city. However, today, I've sent them to claim someone unlucky enough to cross paths with me three years ago. His time is up, only he doesn't have the slightest clue they're coming for him and that's just the way I like it! It's more fun for me that way!

It's a typical day in New York. The rain is pouring down from the sky and there are people with umbrellas littering the streets as far as the eye can see. As the crowd scurries along like rats freed from their 700 square foot cages on their way to work, they walk elbow to elbow on the sidewalks but avoid each other like the plague. They pack themselves like sardines on their subways and buses and fight each other for cabs. Pitiful creatures, if you ask me.

And people often wonder why New Yorkers are so rude. You would be too if you were breathing in smog filled air while avoiding the endless sea of potholes that are now filled with ankle deep water while balancing your over priced cellphone against your face, too oblivious to the see the world going down in flames around you.They have foolishly traded their lives away to run on hamster wheels for low pay and a few scraps in exchange for a tiny apartment, a little food in their belly and bragging rights for their illustrious Manhattan addresses. They are slaves to a lifestyle that ironically chose them, pawns in a game they lost before it began.

Yes, this is the the perfect place to test them. I want to rattle Allesandra's cage a little. I've got to toughen that girl up a bit.

As he walks away from the fountain, he shakes his head in disbelief at how much worse things have gotten since the last time he had visited with Helen. This time, his new handmaiden will be on her own and with the incompetence of Sebastian and Nicole along for the ride, I would say it's fair to say that.

Somehow, Allesandra had expected Satan to send them somewhere like this first. "How typical! He's full of surprises, isn't he?" Allesandra complains to the others as she pulls a few twigs from her long hair.

It was a bit of a bumpy entrance during their return to Earth by way of a small pit stop in a large tree in Central Park. Allesandra staggers around until she's steady on her feet again and continues ranting, "It figures he would send us to this shithole! I hate New York! Everyone here is so rude!"

"Well, I for one am thrilled." Sebastian remarks as he bends over to dust his boots off, pluck a few blades of grass from his beard and then proclaims, "After we take care of our first order of business we shall catch a show on Broadway and have a proper dinner at Delmonico's!"

"Sebastian, of course you would know where all the best places to eat and the best shows to watch are in this city. I'm sure that's exactly why he sent you along with me."

"Very funny Allesandra. He sent me along to keep you in line and make sure you don't leave this city in complete shambles when we leave."

"Who would even notice if I did?" She sarcastically responds. Nicole gives them both a dirty look and plays referee. "Come on, you two. We just got here. Can we please just do what we came here to do so we can go home soon?"