3, Canines

[friendly reminder that nothing you're reading is not edited, and
                                               not going to lie, probably won't ever be]

                    another week passed by.

Hatari picked up her pace, trotting back towards the den. She grasped a limp, young boar she had caught for herself and Kuta. As she neared the den, she slowed, flickering a skeptical eye round. She dropped the prey by the entrance of the empty den, the unfamiliar scent lingering nearby hinting he had run in with a stranger. Swallowing the anxiety consuming her, Hatari started scouting the scents.

She tensed, growling lowly as she looked to seek out the creature. It smelt like Kuta, but a little different. Wolf. They were too near to a pack territory for a lone wolf to bother them, so she figured it would be one of the pack wolves. Bagheera's pack. Great.

The mumbling of voices drew her towards a hedge, where she perched to get a better look. The voices cleared, and one became familiar. Kuta.

"I suppose," she heard the pup reply, his tone somewhat cautious. As she looked over, he was talking to a large grey coated wolf, similar in colour to himself.

Hatari snarled, bounding from the foliage and ramming into the wolf standing over the pup. She stood defensively, baring her teeth as it stood back up.

"Tari!" The pup beamed at her, speaking softly. He bounded towards her. The wolf stopped growling, rather standing tensely and eyeing her warily.

"What are you? His mother?" The wolf growled out, giving a curl of his lip.

"What is it to you, mutt?" She bit back, moving her paw over Kuta.

The wolf gave a grumble, muttering incoherently beneath his breath. Hatari's eyes followed him closely as he simply turned to leave. He got a little further, before he stopped, not looking back. "The pup needs a pack. He needs his own species." The wolf growled the last phrase, as if in disgust.

"I suggest you shut your trap," she snarled back.

The stranger turned back to face them. "Or what? You going to attack me? Claw me apart? Hiss at me?" They gave a subtle snicker.

"Leave." Hatari seethed, her claws digging into the ground, her tail swishing angrily. Kuta sat against a plant just behind her, his tail tucked anxiously.

He didn't budge. "Wouldn't you rather be with your real family, your own species, pup?" Kuta glanced up to find the wolf staring at him.

Hatari breathed a huff, springing forward and clawing at the wolf's pelt. He quickly reacted by letting out a bark of sorts, beckoning another three wolves to approach them out the foliage. The first wolf ran at Hatari, sinking its teeth into her lower neck. Raising up on her back legs, she grasped the wolves sides with her claws, raking through its pelt as she dropped back to the ground. It let go, backing up a few steps. The feline hissed, a little blood trickling down her shoulder. The other wolves didn't hesitate, running at her with bared fangs.

A single wolf stalked, unnoticed, towards Kuta. Kuta looked alarmed, backing up as the wolf got closer. "Come on, puppy, come on," it cooed, treading closer. Kuta turned and ran.

"Run, K-Kuta!" The feline called through struggles, fighting off the three wolves tearing at her skin. The pup glanced around frantically, bolting in a random direction.

  The pup dashed through foliage, the older wolf quickly catching up, snarling and snapping. "Get back here!"

Kuta didn't reply. Ducking under a thick hedge, and through some old branches, he tucked himself under a fallen tree. He heard the wolf skid to a stop. He held his breath, closing his eyes tightly. "Here, puppy puppy," it called, slowly stalking after him. "We can do this the hard way, or the easy way." Peering through a tiny gap in the logs, he watched as the wolf turned its back on him. Kuta silently snuck out the other side, making a run for it again.

The wolf snapped its head up, a smug grin over its expressions. "The hard way it is."

Kuta felt as if he'd been running forever. He could still hear the wolf scavenging after him, gradually catching up, despite the winding and muddy track Kuta had taken.

He frowned as he spotted a cat-like figure wandering ahead. As he neared, his ears perked. "Bagheera!" The feline snapped his head around upon hearing his name, quickly spotting the pup. Kuta glanced behind him, stopping a little late as he ran into the panther's front legs. Scrambling to his paws, Kuta hid under the cat.

"Kuta?" He recognised the pup after a moment, partly as he had Hatari's scent on him. Bagheera was stopped from asking anything more, as a heavily panting wolf came out of nowhere. The cat narrowed his eyes, noting Kuta's tucked tail and pinned back ears.

The canine had a predatory gleam in his eye as he approached the pair. "There you are, pup." Begheera recognised the wolf from Akela's pack. Kuta's head was between the cat's front legs. The wolf acknowledged Bagheera with a nod. "Thanks for watching him, but we'll be going now."

Bagheera moved to face the wolf. "I don't think so."

A/n anyway how slay is this?😻
I'm looking to get the next chap out in a few days time, and have a few prepared for later in the week as I'm working later,
Lmk of any ideas you got?<3
Anywhom, hate to be that person but star this because yes.

Wow
Almost 1000 words
Slay?😻