7, Longing

Hatari sat waiting, watching Kuta amuse himself with the other young canines. Her eyes drifted towards an approaching pair.

Akela was the first to speak. "Bagheera has requested I allow you to stay for an extended, more permanent, duration. So on the condition that you will help with hunting and defend the pack as your own, you may. If that is what you wish." He finished. The wolf dipped his crown, before turning away and departing.

Hatari's attention drifted to Bagheera, who was sitting besides where Akela had just stood. "Thank you. Really," she grinned, rubbing her head affectionately beneath his as she walked past, giving a quiet purr. Bagheera was briefly flustered, only regaining his composure once she had walked past. He shook his head after watching her leave with a smile, emitting a sigh before wandering to settle in his usual tree that overlooked the pack grounds.

Bagheera laid leisurely over the sloping branches of the overhanging tree, his tail flicking back and fourth every so often. The feline's deep amber gaze remained on the female panther, light dapples visible on her ebony fur under the bright orange rays of sun that shrouded everything as the day came to a close. Mowgli appeared behind him, hauling himself up the tree and clambering onto the branch above. "Hey, Bagheera," the man-cub started, the feline not shifting his focused gaze. "Is Hatari staying?" He asked, his tone curious.

"Yes, i believe so." Bagheera answered, spotting the new wolf pup frolicking around happily. He was glad, if not for her, but for Kuta. It seemed like he hadn't been around much of his own kind, and pack life was something so important to most wolves.

Hatari had made her over to where Kuta frolicked with the other pups in the pack. The panther dipped her crown in greeting towards their mother, and sat a short distance away. She understood the pack had every right to still be cautious, and Hatari didn't expect them to trust her for a while. For a reason she couldn't give, the feline trusted Bagheera- perhaps as he was the first of their kind she'd seen a while.

She gave a yawn, most of the pack seemed to have settled down, and Raksha was calling her pups into the den. Kuta paused, glancing at Hatari as if to ask if he could follow. Hatari casted him a short smile and nod, and the pup followed after the others into the mother wolf's den. While she knew she wasn't his mother, having had him rely or her like one for so long, sometimes she felt she was. It made her happy to see him with a pack and other wolves, but would definitely take some getting used to.

Hatari sat at the edge of the overhanging cliff, the waterhole below. It was almost quiet, only a few animals of sorts lingered at the bank. The sky had almost darkened fully, the only light being the orange and pink path left behind by the sun as it crept below the horizon. She didn't have to look to know who had settled besides her. He briefly glanced at her, before also staring at the landscape laid out ahead.

It was a while before either of them conversed- and Hatari was the one to speak first. ''You know,'' she started, her gaze still pointed forward, ''I owe you a lot.'' Another pause.

Bagheera didn't reply, only turning his head to look at her. Frankly, he'd never thought that she owed him. If he was asked if he would do it all again- he'd say yes without a doubt. 'Why?' That question often stirred his thoughts. Somewhere, perhaps even in the depths of his vast mind, he had the answer- only he wouldn't yet acknowledge it.

She spoke again, drawing Bagheera out of his thoughts once more. ''I haven't much to give other than my gratitude.''

''That's plenty.'' The rough edge to his voice was gentle, his tone so quietly spoken it would have been incoherent to the inattentive.

His dark hues, contorted in sweet affection, stared into her own. The golden remnants of the retreating sun shunned away the shadowed depths of her own, drawing out the glowing amber colour that only such light could beckon fourth. For a moment- for a brief duration- the forever crawling on of time ceased between them. Their affection for one another remained unspoken. But for the lost feline, it was more than enough.

a/n:

honestly, I was planning to ditch this as I did not expect so many reads. I feel my writing has gotten a wee bit better + I've actually gotten a few requests to continue which actually means a lot- so thank you:))

sorry I took my time haha, I will write some more over the next few days:)) xoxo

+ all chapters are unedited so please lmk if there are any errors <3