Chapter 45

His weapon met with hers, the sparks of his lightning infused weapon left little if any marks on her needle. Either it was exceptionally made, or the Queen herself was using Soul Wands.

The latter, most likely. He pulled back and swung at the Insect, the weapon was nearly jarred from his grip when she batted it aside. Wardes immediately found himself at the back foot, as the Queen met his swing with jabs and strikes from her needle.

Barely he managed to survive them. The mage back paddled away from her strikes, as he tried to move them away from his body. But for one strike he deflected, she moved her needle fast enough to strike him in another area. Small cuts and nicks appeared on his body, stabbing him just enough to hurt but not enough to fatally wound.

Wardes chanted, and when one thrust was blocked he casted the spell, directly towards her chest.

Wind blew at the Queen, it kicked up the dirt and blood around them, it should've been strong enough to send her flying.

Instead the Insect placed her weapon in front of her and it merely pushed her back. He poured more of his will into the spell, and he saw the Queen slip just slightly.

Wardes cancelled the spell, the blood underneath his feet splashed as he dashed forward as fast as he could. The Sword Wand, still glowing with electricity, stabbed forward towards the skull of the Insect in front of him.

The Queen tilted the weapon just enough.

His weapon came to an abrupt halt, the tip of it slamming into the length of the needle like blade, instead of her skull. Then, just as his weapon touched hers, the Queen swung upwards and Wardes could only silently cry out at his exposed chest.

The needle came down, faster than Wardes could recover from the parry and block it.

So instead, he threw himself out of the path of the weapon.

He held a gag as the mage rolled on the blood of the men that the Queen had killed, but it was enough. Barely he managed to avoid the strike, the tip of her weapon meeting the bloodied ground instead of his body.

Wardes pushed himself off the ground, and quickly he took several steps back, grimacing at the blood on his body before turning his attention back to the Queen.

Slowly, she pulled the weapon from the ground and held it behind her. Her head turned to face him, her movements languid and uncaring.

Wardes had to calm his breathing after a second, while the Queen stood there without any sign of exertion herself.

"Tch," His tongue clicked "You are not taking me as seriously as you should." He warned her.

Those eyes bore into his mask, her needled was pointed his way again, prompting him to take a defensive stance.

"I wish to capture you, traitor, to know of your reason." She informed him, her words echoing around them "If I wanted to, you would have died the moment you walked in."

"Are you sure about that?"

Her arm pulled back, and the next thing Wardes next knew he had to move his hands to deflect something that flew like an arrow to his throat. His shoulder screamed at him at the sudden movement.