xiv. cool, calm, and collected

TIME PASSED BY quickly. Even though some days felt long, while others felt short, the clock was ticking.

Winter break slipped away easily. When the start of January came along, classes were back in session and students were excited to see one another again after two weeks of separation. Before seventh period began, Alexander and Jayden were catching up on everything — even if they spent a large majority of their winter break together.

But the school environment was just different. It was completely ideal to catch up and rewind with each other. Even with little things, like Christmas gifts and New Year's resolutions.

"I didn't expect my dad to get me a new iPhone for Christmas. That new job of his must be treating him well," Alexander remarked as his hand glided on his new, upgraded phone. The case was clear, which showed the entire reddened area of the phone. The gift was surely a grand surprise, but he was a hundred percent grateful for what he had.

"It's really nice," Jayden complimented as he closely observed the phone. "Not a fan of the red, though. Red iPhones are the absolute worse."

"Stop being a hater," Alexander tutted as he playfully shoved his best friend's shoulder. "It's just a phone."

"I'm not hating, I'm just saying that I don't like the color red on that phone. It's so . . . weird," Jayden shrugged as he slightly rose up from his chair to shove his friend back.

Alexander found himself shaking his head as Dr. Terry came to the front of the class, her hands clasped together. "Good afternoon, class. I'm hoping that you all have enjoyed your winter break," she announced with a chirp. "This semester in choir is going to be really important, so I need you all to listen up. Put all your cell phones away while you're at it."

Alexander slipped his phone into the side pocket of his backpack, and so did half a dozen other students in the choir room. Since classes were back in session, so was the choir. And this semester, they had a whole lot to do.

This upcoming March, the choir will have to participate in their festival performance — LGPE. So far, this will be their biggest and most important performance because they will be evaluated by judges. Real choir judges who will follow a strict rubric. Typically, there are three judges who sit at a table. The one to the right judges the right portion, the one to the left judges the left portion, and the one at the center judges everything.

A score of one meant an outstanding, superior performance, while a score of three meant the performance was poor. The Meadowbrook High School Chorus would compete against many other choirs across the school district, and once the scores came out, they could be accessed on the internet. For the past four years of Dr. Terry taking over Meadowbrook's chorus, all of her classes have been known to have superior ratings in evaluations like this. It wasn't out of pure luck, however. It was out of complete skill.

"I've been a choir director for years. I've directed mixed chorus, women's chorus, college show choir — you name it," Dr. Terry remarked with a curt nod. "We can get a superior rating if we work hard and practice, which we will. So, for the next two months, we will be working hard on our new music."

She then held a large basket of what seemed like black plastic folders, which she retrieved from the top of her baby grand piano. "Because the festival only accepts certain songs from their approved list, we will be singing Gloria in Excelsis Deo and The Seal Lullaby," Dr. Terry announced as she began to pass out the folders from the front to back row. "These songs are very important, so I've made everyone individualized folders. I don't want anyone to lose their music, so please keep up with it. Does everyone understand?"

"Yes, ma'am," the entire choir said in sync.

And just like that, the choir got to work. There was no time to waste, especially as the clock was ticking against their will.