xxi. hit or miss

"ALEXANDER AND I KISSED," Inez mused through her phone as she plopped herself onto her bed. Later that evening after dinner, she decided to call Jolien to tell her about her ever-so eventful day. Alexander and her kissed. They locked lips.

All in the dark environment of the school theater's dressing room.

It was a new experience for Inez Archer, that's for sure. The passionate kiss she experienced earlier in the day was her first. And boy, it was eventful. It was like her brain floated out of her head as it happened. When Alexander first kissed him, she wanted more. Frankly, it was the best feeling she has experienced in a while.

And suddenly, she's turned into a lovesick romantic.

"Wait, back it up, back it up, back it up," Jolien squealed through the phone enthusiastically. "You guys kissed?"

"Yes, I know it's hard to believe, but it happened," Inez gushed as she grabbed a ballpoint pen, playing with the push button over and over again. "I'm not going to lie, it was so good."

"Tables have turned, then. If this happened at the beginning of the school year, you'd be so disgusted," Jolien remarked, followed by a short chuckle. "But tell me step by step — what happened? Was it a hit or a miss?"

"Definitely a hit," the curly-haired girl mused as she continued to play with the top of her ballpoint pen. It was mysteriously addicting. "Firstly, we were in the dressing room, and he was just joking around and shit. When I was about to leave, we stood in front of each other, staring at each other for the longest time," Inez continued with a growing smile. "Next thing you know, he pulls me in and kisses me. When he pulled away a few moments later, I pulled him back in."

"Someone's in love," Jolien giggled. "I mean, you should hear yourself right now. You sound so smitten right now, and I'm loving it."

"Yeah, I guess you can say that I'm kinda smitten. This kiss . . . it just made me feel so . . . different inside," Inez remarked as she laid down on her back, which made her sink into the plush comfort of her mattress. She put her legs up, crossing one over the other. "But what's next?"

"Between Alexander and you? That's up to y'all to decide," the brunette hummed. "But pro tip: I think you should get a gist of him, you know? Y'all should hang out, text, go out on dates — it doesn't have to be anything extra. But do you like him?"

"I think I do . . ." Inez muttered. "I mean, we've had a lot of great times recently. And to be honest, I felt kinda jittery when we were in the dressing room together. Sure, he can be really annoying, but he can be kinda cute at the same time."

"Eeek!" Jolien squealed like an excited fangirl. "To be honest, you guys will be really cute together. I'll be your number one shipper."

"Ah, stop it," the curly-haired girl nagged. "I'm going to get my laundry out of the washer. See you?"

"Bye, and good night, Nez," the brunette chirped before she ended the call. Inez groggily got up from the comfort of her own bed before she jumped off, slipping on her plush bedroom slippers before she made her journey to the laundry room downstairs. About two hours prior, she put in a couple of clothes, including her choir dress, into the washer, then to the dryer so it would be nice and clean.

After she walked down a flight of stairs and around the corner near the kitchen to the laundry room, her mother was already in the room, ironing a pair of nurse scrubs on the room's iron board.

"Hey, Nez. Your clothes just finished drying in the dryer," her mother, Gabrielle, greeted her as she scooted forward a bit, allowing Inez to have more room to walk in. The Archer's laundry room wasn't the biggest, but it wasn't the smallest either. It could get cramped, however. In this case, Inez had enough room