xxiv. i guess i'm a bad liar

INEZ ARCHER DOESN'T LIKE LYING.

Even if it was a white lie or a lie that is more intense, she still didn't like lying. Sure, lying can get you out of all sorts of situations, especially if the situation is simple.

But the thing is, Inez's situation is not simple.

Even though it's been two, almost three weeks since she started dating Alexander Choi, she still hasn't informed either one of her parents about her relationship with him. It's not like she did this on purpose, as if she was plotting an ultimate plan to keep them in the dark about her love life. Long story short, that's just not possible, especially because Inez is extremely close to her parents. They live under the same roof, have dinner together almost every night, and the list goes on.

Even if Inez wanted to hide the fact that she has a boyfriend, she can't. In a household like hers, it just isn't possible. Her parents were ought to find out sooner or later.

Because of that, Inez wanted to rip off the band-aid. It may have sounded easy, but frankly, it is all easier said than done. Especially since she's in her first-ever relationship, one that she's endlessly passionate about. She has absolutely no clue how to even bring up the conversation.

"Mom, Dad, you see, I'm dating a guy now. Crazy, right?" Inez recited in her full mirror, fastened to the beige walls of her bedroom. "No, that's not it."

The girl sighed as she forked her hand through her natural curls as she felt her face heat up. She could barely tell the new information to her parents through the mirror. She could only imagine how bad she'd be in real life, right in front of her caregivers.

Embarrassing.

But instead of stressing out over it, she took a deep exhale before reaching out for her half-empty sixteen-ounce water bottle to take a sip. If anything, worrying about her situation too much wasn't going to help.

But keeping her closest family in the dark about it won't help either, she pondered.

That's when her heart struck as an idea popped up in her brain. She didn't have to tell both of her parents about it. Like she has over the past several weeks, she could tell her mother about it. After all, her mom was already familiar with who Alexander was in a way. So it wouldn't hurt for Inez to give her a little update on the situation. Her mother is usually extremely understanding about these situations, so she couldn't see why she wouldn't be about this one.

Having that said, she headed straight towards her mother and father's bedroom, hoping that her mother was only there so they could have a brief conversation about it. To her luck, when she arrived at the large, spacious master bedroom, her father was nowhere to be in sight.

"Hey, Mom," Inez greeted as she took a seat at the rim of the large, king sized bed. "Where's Dad?"

"Your father went to the pharmacy to buy a couple of things, and he should be back in a couple of minutes. Do you need him?" Gabrielle informed as she put down her cell phone, which she was gladly scrolling on before her mother arrived.

That should be enough time to tell Mom everything.

"Uh, not right now. I need to talk to you, actually," her daughter mused quietly. "Can you please not tell Dad about this?"

"It depends," Gabrielle answered with honesty as she looked her daughter straight into the eyes. "But what is it that you want to tell me?"

"Well, you know that guy I'm always talking about? The one I went on a date with a few weeks ago?" Inez started herself off as she looked straight at the carpeted floor below her. "You know, Alexander?"