xxx. prom

PREPARING FOR PROM WAS AN EXTREME self-care day for Inez Archer. On the first Saturday of the blazing warm month of May, Inez has gone left and right to prepare for her special day. Instead of waking up at eleven in the morning like she usually did on a typical weekend, she woke up at nine and had a big breakfast and nice lunch before she headed out to a spa to get a relaxing pamper day before she'd visit a spa.

Her manicure consisted of getting scarlet red squoval shaped nails, which consisted of many sparkly patterns and shapes which went so well with each other, such as checkerboards and glittery white stripes. Inez also got her legs and arms waxed before she left the spa. It was painful to get extra hairs ripped right out of her, but the end results were a hundred percent worth it. Her legs were smooth and hair free, slightly more satisfying than the results of shaving her legs with a razor.

After Inez headed home from the spa, she straightened her hair with the help of her mother. With no frizz, her hair reached her mid-back, which brought out the deep red hue of her dress, which she was proudly wearing.

As she peeked into the vanity mirror inside her parent's bedroom, she already felt like a princess. After her mom shifted a makeup brush throughout her daughter's face, she took some time to apply some bronze eyeshadow, which made her eyelids pop. Gabrielle gushed, "You already look so beautiful."

"Thanks to you," her daughter hummed as she unsealed a small container of edge control to do her baby hairs to the side to enhance her look.

"No, you always look beautiful, Nez," Gabrielle recited as she brushed and applied some shimmery bronze eyeshadow, which made her eyes pop slightly.

Once Gabrielle finished applying additional eyeshadow, a bit of blush, natural-looking false lashes, eyeliner, and lipstick, she chirped as she began to place her makeup supplies into her large makeup bag. "Done."

Inez's eyes fluttered open, which revealed a full, yet natural-looking face of makeup. She quickly transformed from being the tired girl who just got out of bed looking crusty to looking like a complete dream. Her mouth dropped wide open in awe. "Mom, I love it. You know, you'd make a great makeup artist."

"Maybe, but I don't know. I like being a nurse practitioner," Gabrielle said with a shrug as she grabbed her bulky, tattered floral makeup bag, placing it under her arm. "But you look beautiful."

Gabrielle a hand through her daughter's silky hair. "I'm going to put this makeup away, then get something special for you."

"Okay," Inez muttered as she held up a few strands of hair to separate her baby hairs from the rest. She applied a little bit of strawberry-flavored edge control on it before she swooped it to the side with her edge brush. She did the same with the other side, satisfied with the way it turned out. All she could hope, however, was that her edges wouldn't flake up throughout time. Being that it was the day of prom, it would be extremely unfortunate.

Through the vanity mirror, she could see her mother leave the bathroom and head towards her daughter with a small glittery silver purse in hand and a small, rectangular box. She placed the purse on the vanity while she held up the box.

"The purse will match your dress, so you can borrow it for night to put your phone and whatever you need in it," Gabrielle said as she handed her daughter the rectangular box. "I have a surprise for you inside of this box. Why don't you open it?"

"I wonder what's inside," Inez cooed as she gently yanked off the box's cover. A silver pendant necklace in the shape of a heart sat inside with big letters engraved on it. It read, love always. "Wow, is this for me?"

"Yes, it is," her mother said simply as she took the necklace out of its box to hold it up. "Someone special gave it to me when I went to my senior prom."