Chapter 5

~Link~

The first rays of dawn were just peeking over the horizon when Telma's wagon finally arrived in Kakariko Village. Ashei and Shad were curled up together, heads resting on one another. Rusl lay stretched out on the other bench snoring lightly.

Link sighed wistfully, ignoring his body's fatigue as he hopped out of the wagon while Telma carefully parked it beside the spring. Link's mind hadn't once strayed from you since the evening before. He spent the whole voyage to Kakariko imagining you shackled up in a filthy prison, all alone, covered in cuts and bruises, or worse - dead. He usually tried to focus on the best outcome of a situation, but he couldn't help but expect the worst now.

Oh goddess, __f/n__, I'm so sorry... This is all my fault. The gallant hero's tears glowed faintly orange in the bleary sunrise as they rolled down the dark circles that lay below his despondent azure eyes. I will save you, even if it costs me my life, Link promised as he wiped his swollen hues.

"Alright kiddos, rise and shine!" Telma belted out jovially, jolting Link from his thoughts. All three passengers gave a start as they awoke abruptly. Ignoring the cries of Ashei, whom Shad had accidentally fallen upon from the rude awakening, Telma hustled over towards the aging, shanty inn. Link followed promptly. A deep groan issued from the weather-beaten door as Telma and Link entered the dusty atrium.

"Yoohoo! Renado, dear!" Telma called out into the dimly dawn-lit foyer. A rustle of footsteps above them shuffled its way down the stairs, and the pair was met with the surprised albeit drowsy gaze of Renado's only child, Luda.

"Oh, Telma, Link! Father didn't tell me you were coming to visit." Just as she said this, Rusl, Shad and Ashei made their way inside the inn.

"Ashei? Rusl? Shad? Why are all of you here? Has something happened?" The mature child puzzled.

"Yes, Luda. We need to speak with your father. Is he here?" Telma asked softly but purposefully as she held the warm, youthful gaze of the little girl. Telma didn't have to wait for an answer, as Renado came down the stairs at that moment dressed in his native-style robes. His light brown eyes crinkled in a smile as he caught sight of Telma.

"Hello, Telma! To what do I owe the pleasure?" He didn't seem to notice the presence of the other four visitors.

"I'm afraid I'm not here for leisure this time, dear. Something terrible has happened." She answered solemnly. "Link, why don't you tell him what happened?"

~*~*~

"This is grave news indeed." Renado sighed, digesting the troubling story. The group sat together at a small wooden table in the brightening room. Renado's wrinkled face looked more sunken than Link last remembered as the maturing sunlight shone on him.

"So?" Link asked hopefully, "Is there any way to open a portal of some sort?" Renado closed his eyes as he contemplated this. "Yes, I believe so." He decided, nodding slowly. Link's hope soared and he sighed in relief as a hint of a smile crossed his features. "Thank the heavens! Alright, how is it done? How soon can we get started? How long will it take to complete?"

"I'm afraid that I do not know the spells. They are contained in very ancient and carefully guarded scrolls in the possession of the royal family." Everyone in the group turned their eyes anxiously towards Link, expecting him to crack. However, he did no such thing. After a short moment of deliberation, he said, "There's no time to waste then. I'm going to the castle." He went to stand, but Renado placed a hefty hand on his shoulder.

"You act too hastily, Link. It is foolish to move ahead without properly considering the perils that may confront you," the wise man cautioned in his resonant tenor.

"I don't care how dangerous it might be, I'm rescuing __f/n__!" Link retorted, growing increasingly frustrated. Renado shook his head.

"You are thinking irrationally because you are driven by emotions. I understand what you are going through right now, but-"