Chapter 8

~Link~

"Hya! Yah! Hah!" Strained, rhythmic grunting filled the Kakariko Canyon as the unforgiving desert sun beat down upon the parched, eroded earth. Sweat raced down Link's bare, muscular chest as he swung his legendary blade across the face of an unlucky tree, whose bark wore the scars of many hours' sparring practice by the troubled hero. His brow furrowed in concentration, Link plunged his sword deep into the core of his makeshift sparring partner with a great battle cry,

"HYYYYAAAAH!!"

Finally, the poor tree gave way, and a loud crack issued from it as it split apart into two. He slumped down to the ground in fatigue, panting and massaging his sore, calloused hands. 'Still not good enough,' Link thought critically as he surveyed his handiwork.

Since his conversation with Luda that morning, Link had been out in the scalding weather, practicing his swordsmanship. He realized he'd been wasting too much of his time wallowing while he could have been preparing himself to rescue you. Come to think of it, that usually would have been his first instinct. Lately, he'd been so much weaker, both mentally and physically, than ever before, while this should be the time that he's his strongest for you.

"Gods, what's gotten into me?" he muttered, falling back onto the dusty ground, guarding his eyes against the glaring light with his large, sun-kissed biceps.

"Not lunch, that's for sure!"

Link sat up quickly and craned his neck behind him to see a grinning Telma carrying a tray overloaded with cucco curry, rice, and bread. His handsome yet hardened features, reddened by both his hours of labor and the sting of the sun, softened in appreciation as he rose to accept the gift.

"Thanks, Telma." He sighed gratefully.

"Ah, ah, ah!" She halted him. "It's time you take a rest inside, boy. Any more time out here, and your skin's gonna boil off." She vaguely gestured to his sunburned face, although her sparkling green gaze was clearly transfixed upon his sculpted, sweaty abdomen.

"Er, I guess you're right," he answered slowly, warily covering his body with his tunic he'd tossed aside hours ago as he noticed her wolfish eyes hungrily taking him in. Telma gave a slight pout at this.

"Well, come on boy, time's a-wastin'." Link's body ached as he followed the sassy Gerudo woman into the refreshing refuge of the Kakariko Inn.

"Goodness, Link! You're redder than a beet!" A young voice pointed out. Luda popped up from behind the kitchen counter, with a bundle of lemon peels in hand.

"Yeah, well..." he mumbled, eyeing an inviting pitcher of lemonade sitting on a nearby table. Just as he sat down to pour himself a glass, his pointed, Hylian ears picked up the clattering sound of a wagon pulling up into the village.

"There's only one person that could be!" Telma cried enthusiastically. Link didn't hear that though, he was already out the door, sprinting towards the source of the noise.

"Renado! I've never been happier to see you, friend! What news do you bring from Hyrule Castle? Do you have the scrolls? Oh, I'm just so glad to see you!" Link rambled, a true, beaming smile adorning his face. All the others appeared quickly beside him, looking equally eager.

"I have, with much effort, successfully retrieved the scrolls." This was the happiest and most hopeful Link had felt in weeks.

"That's amazing to hear, Renado! When can preparations begin?" Link eagerly questioned. Renado's face tensed a little bit.

"Well, we can gather the supplies we need from the inn right away, but I'm afraid that we won't be able to actually carry out the spells until the next full moon." He answered hesitantly. "That leaves another three weeks or so until you'll be able to travel to the Twilight Realm." He explained since he could tell by the faces in the small crowd of friends that they hadn't exactly been keeping track of the moon's cycle.

Link, who was visibly frustrated, pursed his lips and tried his best to hold his uncharacteristic anger back. Shad and Ashei, who were hand-in-hand, glanced worriedly at each other. Rusl made his way from the back of the group and placed a firm, comforting hand on the young man's shoulder.

"I am sorry, Link, I truly am." Renado apologized. "I searched as fast as I could, but it was buried so deeply in the archives, and it was so heavily guarded by different rules and regulations on powerful magic within the kingdom and whatnot..."

"What matters is that you got it." Link stated finally, with a familiar, courageous gleam returning to his eye. "All this means is that there's more time for me to build my strength back up." The group let out a silent sigh of relief as they realized Link was not going to explode in anger. He was usually so cool and level-headed, but he seemed almost like a different person since __f/n__ was taken. A much angrier, bitter person...

"That's the spirit, kiddo." Rusl encouraged, giving Link a solid pat on the back. "If you're finished with that tree over there, I'd be more than happy to serve as your sparring partner," he added gesturing to the splintered remains that were once a tree off in the distance. Link nodded at him. "I would appreciate that greatly, Rusl."

Telma cleared her throat rather dramatically. Link gave her one quick glance, and after seeing that intense, motherly look from those burning green eyes, he added, "after I've eaten my lunch, of course!"