Wattpad Original
There are 45 more free parts

【06】Gigi's Parlour

Ulrik

"Do you come here so often that you can now get a discount?" I wondered.

"It's one of the perks of living with the owner slash chef of the place."

The idea that she shared her life with whoever ran this restaurant displeased me. That notion, as intrusive as it was unwelcome, scratched the back of my brain for a moment, clawing its way into my mind. I had just met the woman; she owed me nothing, and I shouldn't have any expectations. In fact, I shouldn't even be surprised that such a clever and stunning creature had found someone desirous to claim her.

"In what capacity?" The words left my mouth before I could reason with myself.

"Excuse me?"

"The owner, in what manner do you live together?"

She straightened in her chair, her knee accidentally bumping into mine. Her face was slowly turning into a scowl, as though she disliked the direction the conversation had taken. Fuck, I should have held my tongue.

"This isn't any of your concern, sir."

"I'm simply making conversation."

"I don't think you'd be asking Henry that sort of question if you'd taken him out instead of me."

"Oh, but you're wrong, miss. If it was him in front of me, I'd ask if there's anything going on between you two. And if he answered no, I'd ask him if you have anything going on with anyone."

Her lush lips parted as she processed my words, conveying her confusion. Was it really so surprising that I could be hitting on her? As a gorgeous woman, she ought to be used to piquing men's interests.

"You know you can't...seduce me or sweet talk me into giving you the sword, right?" she warily asked.

"Is it what I'm doing?"

"It looks an awful lot like it, yes."

"Miss Connelly, the sword is the last thing on my mind at the moment. You're the one who keeps bringing it up."

As ludicrous as it may be, it was true. I should have been all over that sword. It should have been my only concern, my ultimate priority. But it seemed I'd found a subject that interested me more. At least in an immediate manner. I'd handle the sword later, but for now, she had my undivided attention.

She frowned again, avoiding my gaze as she debated whether or not I was being truthful. She'd been honest when she'd told me she was on the fence.

"There's nothing going on between Henry and me," she revealed, still somewhat conflicted. "He's happily engaged and marrying his fiancée next spring. As for Gigi, she's my platonic soulmate. We've been living together for two and a half years now, because the rents in London are a joke."

While she'd only answered part of my question, I was thankful for the clarification. Maybe she was seeing someone at the moment, but at least she wasn't so involved in a romantic relationship that she'd live with them.

The waiter came back with a bottle of French wine, and we remained silent while he opened it. When he asked who wanted to taste it, I gestured her way, so he poured a small amount of sauvignon blanc into her glass. She then brought the delicate rim of it to her lips and sampled a mouthful of the golden liquid. After some moment with it in her mouth, she swallowed and nodded her approval.

The waiter finished pouring wine into her glass and then filled mine before leaving the bottle between us.

"What about you?" she asked once he was gone, boldly meeting my eyes. Although she tried to act unfazed, I guessed the nervousness lying under her detached expression.