Wattpad Original
There are 9 more free parts

【42】Treasure

Ulrik

Less than a minute after I'd left my office, I was entering the reserve. She was by the desk I'd given her, actively typing something on her computer. Per usual, she was so absorbed by her work that she didn't notice me at first. Reginald did, though. He'd found an available spot in the corner of her messy desk.

She only realized I was there once I reached the last step of the stairs. By then, I'd hidden the item behind me, so I could surprise her with it.

"Hi," she greeted me with a cheerful smile.

"Hello there, Miss Connelly."

Her eyes were squinting at me as I came closer. "What's behind your back?"

"Another piece of the collection that I forgot was in my office."

Excitement gained her instantly, as if this entire room filled with thousands of items wasn't enough to satiate her passionate curiosity. "Can I see it?!"

"Close your eyes first, skatt."

After the faintest hesitation, probably at the new endearment, she complied and shut her eyes tightly, almost squirming in her seat. Shaking my head with amusement, I brought the large object out from behind me and held it in front of her.

Since I didn't have that many opportunities to observe her from up close like this, I did just that, standing there for a moment. I took in her delicate profile, the soft curve of her cheek, the straight line of her nose, the plumpness of her lips... She was a beautiful woman, by any means. Impartially, I knew she wasn't the most beautiful woman I'd ever seen, but I also couldn't remember having been so attracted to anyone else like I was to her. Maybe a long time ago, too far for me to remember.

When she began showing signs of impatience, I accepted that all good things must end, and told her, "You can open them."

She did so, and her brown eyes immediately traveled the length of the artifact. Awe and wonderment struck her as she processed what she was seeing.

The walrus tusk was sculpted along its entire length, the details so minute she probably couldn't see them all yet. Its ivory had turned into shades of dark yellow in some places, but it only brought out more of the carvings and details. Underneath the tusk, there were linear dents along the length, to symbolize the underside of a Viking longship, and the upper part was divided into several scenes. The main subject of these scenes was hard to miss, especially since the twin swords were represented. I guessed she'd figured it out when she reached up for it with trembling hands.

"Is this— Are you—" She stumbled on her words, too bewildered to formulate a sentence. "Is this Haakon's saga carved in walrus ivory?"

"Not the entire saga, but his sailing to England."

She blinked several times, her eyes still on the tusk she was barely holding, and I considered turning her off and on, as if it could fix her real-life glitch.

This piece was among my absolute favorites, which was why I kept it by my side. So it was only fair that she'd be this entranced and shocked by it. Just as I'd suspected, this piece would be of utmost importance to her.

Once she regained a modicum of cerebral functions, she turned to me with a scowl, which I wasn't expecting. "You forgot about this?!"

My response was impeached by the chuckle that rolled in my chest.

"And you're touching it without gloves on? Ulrik, what the hell!" Her utter discontent made me laugh softly again.

In an instant, she busied herself with clearing up her desk, making some room to welcome the tusk on it. Reginald found the fuss unsuitable for him, so he jumped down and walked away. Good.