You promised me

(Tommy's P.O.V.)
I waited impatiently for Lizzie to come into my office. I heard the door creak and I looked up to meet her eyes. "Where's the letter?" I asked her calmly, but there was a dangerous tone in my voice as well. She decided to play dumb with me, which was not a good option "Which letter?". "the fucking letter from Roe's school!" I yelled at her and slammed my fist on my desk. She flinched and I could hear her breath hitch in her throat. "Where. Is. It?" I growled at her when she didn't continue. "I-I" she stuttered but soon enough she composed herself and fiercely said "I burnt it". "You did what?!" I snapped wanting to know if I was correct in hearing her and stalked behind the desk, "I burned it" she replied with a high-held head. "Why?". "Because she takes all your attention from me!" She yelled back. "She is my child! Therefor you or any other fucking woman will always be below her for my attention" I growled at her. "Not by blood she isn't" Lizzie mumbled at me, "what did you just say?". "You are not her real father, Thomas. You're friend, Steve Eden, is her true farther. You're just guilty that you couldn't save him in the tunnels". Hearing his name again, made me freeze as I saw his face again. So, in pain and begging me to find his daughter for him.

"Take care of her for me"

His voice echoed through my mind and I had to grip the desk so I wouldn't fall back. "It would've been better for the girl if it was you, who died in those tunnels" Lizzie said before turning on her heels to walk away. I was left alone in my office as the memory of Steve Eden flashed through my mind. He was haunting me again.

"Find her for me". "Don't hurt her". "I should've been the one to return to her"

"Stop it!" I screamed and put my hands against my ears trying to block him out, "get out!". Steve's voice stopped and I opened my eyes and breathed out trying to calm down.

"You promised"

His voice had returned and I saw him stand in the corner of my office. "Steve" I breathed out at the hallucination of my friend. He didn't seem like his normal self, his body language gave of disappointment and anger was slightly tinting his features.

"You promised to take care of her. For me"

"I-I" I stuttered but nothing else came out my mouth.

"You promised to protect her, like she was your own!"

"I am protecting her. I am taking care of her" I replied loudly at him. Steve just looked at me with a blank expression.

"There's a war coming, Tommy. So are you enough?"

I thought about his words. Was I protecting her? Was I taking good care of her? Was this life good enough for her? Would she be safe when this war starts? Every question had the same answer and that was no. I looked towards Steve and shook my head "no, no I am not". It took a second before I got my answer. "B-but Ms. Honey.. Roe will be safe". I nodded fast "yes. Yes. Roe will be safe with her" I said before walking away. I stopped in the door opening when one more question appeared in my mind. "You think she'll be safe with her?" I asked turning to Steve, but he was gone. Like he had never been there before. I hesitated because he didn't answer my question. But I decided to bring Roe to Ms. Honey. I quickly went to her bedroom and picked her up. Her eyes fluttered open but sleep still consumed her body. Her head was laying on my shoulder as I walked through the house towards the car.

 Her head was laying on my shoulder as I walked through the house towards the car

(Just imagine Roe in Tommy's arms)

"Papa" I heard her say in her sleep. Papa was what Roe called Steve. I was daddy, he was Papa. I stopped and turned to the cabinet where Steve's dogg-tags were kept. In the mirror above it, I saw the reflextion of his ghost standing behind me and Roe. "Tell me Im making the right descision" I asked looking at the mirror with fear. Again, he didn't answer but just turned his gaze on little Roe. He had a smile on his face, one filled with love, before fanishing again. I quickly grabbed the dogg-tags and put them around Roe's neck before continuing my way to Ms. Honey.

Published: 26th of june 2022

sammi1261
twilightalecjasper
yellow_365
Brekkers_Raven04
bethanjb