Chapter 8

warning: this entire chapter is a flashback. There will be mentions of marks from abuse, starvation, etc.

Abuse☞︎ treated (a person or an animal) with cruelty or violence, especially regularly or repeatedly. Please do not read if you are not comfortable with this topic.

______

Martha's mind raced with many scenarios of what might occur when the two meet along with the aftermath. Would the child be too much and try to rebel? Would she forever remain afraid? Would her trauma cause her to be raised a mute? Would she be able to actually follow her rules in order to become the prefect wife in the future? Her overthinking caused a gloomy cloud to hover over her head and the thought of seeing her brother didn't do much to lighten her mood.

Neither less she was ready for the battle of her life.

One of the guards pulled the passenger door with his hand out waiting for the woman to grab onto. Martha stepped out of the vehicle with the help of the gentleman before making her way up the grand stairs of her brother's home. Jealousy clouded Martha's mind as she took in her brother's residence and money that he inherited from their father, while she got nothing. As she walked through the double doors she saw her brother waiting for her with a smile on his face. She had come here for business matters not to chit-chat with family so she hoped to be able to rush through this.

The two sat down in his living room area while a tray of tea was carried and poured by a maid for them. She watched as he raised the cup to his lips slowly slipping on the tea meanwhile Martha was growing impatient. She didn't have time for this, she didn't have time to pretend she enjoyed the useless conversation or family gatherings. She just wanted to know if he has gotten her what she desired.

"Sister you should smile more often, that grim look on your face is unpleasant," he said but Martha did the complete opposite. Her hands slowly formed a fist, nails digging into the flesh skin of her palm while her knuckles turned whiter than her pale skin.

He was wasting her time.

Martha abruptly stood up from the couch with the plan of walking straight out the door but was stopped when hearing her brother's voice. Those two words caused Martha's tracks to halt and her breath hitch.

"Sie ist da"
[Translation: She's here]

Martha slowly walked back to her original seat, her leg bouncing with anxiousness and excitement, resembling an addict that'll finally get their dose of medicine. She watched as her brother simply raised his right hand and gestured for the guard with his fingers. Rather than the guard coming to them he turned around and walked out the door, disappearing from their eyes. Silence surrounded the siblings as they waited; Martha impatiently waited for her gift while her brother waited to see his beloved sister's reaction. He didn't exactly know why his sister wanted to get involved with matters as dangerous as these but little did he know that the child was Martha's ticket way out.

Suddenly, steps were heard from their ears growing stronger and stronger towards them. Martha's head turned towards the door as it was pulled open revealing the guard with his hold on a girl. Martha quickly stood up from the seat as she stared at the small practically thin child. Even with how physically dirty she was in Martha's eyes she was a blessing.

She was Martha's blessing. 

Martha took slow steps toward the child before sinking to her level. Her wrinkly hands gently cupped the child's cheeks to raise her head upwards, to be greeted by big blue eyes. They were the most beautiful pair of eyes that she has ever seen, bluer than the ocean itself but lifeless. They were drained from any sort of happiness that she could practically be taken for a robot. Martha's hands then run over the child's hair, trying to ease her with a "motherly love" strategy.