Chapter 11

༺♥༻

This chapter is written in Aurora's first-person POV

Warning: the few sentences written at the beginning of this chapter can be triggering, but it relates to the plot and the manipulation that was heavily inflicted on the main female character when growing up. 

please do not read this chapter or the first part if you are unable to handle it, ty :)

_______

I remember when my mother first introduced me to the book, Little Women. She had told me she created it herself for little girls just like me and that it was being read all around the whole world. She told me that I had to follow these rules because it would help me live a beautiful life just like the lives princess lived in books, and at the age of 7, I was so eager to live a happy life after everything I'd been through.  

"1. Make sure to take care of your hair, men tend to love women with long hair. 

2. Keep your facial hair trimmed down and manage body hair, men tend to hate hairy women. 

3. Wear Clothing That Flatters Your Female Shape, but not too tight so people don't get the wrong message. 

4. Keep up with your physical image, men tend to not like women who are "unhealthy".  

5. Choose soft colors; colors such as baby blue, cream, blush, light green, white, etc would brighten your femininity. 

6. Never use inappropriate language those sorts of speaking are for men only. 

7. Be very subtle when you flirt this will remind men how innocent you are.  

8. Avoid makeup, men tend to prefer women with a more natural look.

9. Learn how to cook, men tend to love women who know how to fill their bellies for them.

10. Eat and drink healthy this would help your body maintain its fertile state for marriage.

11. Don't participate in any inappropriate activities, save yourself for your future husband

Lastly, women only belong in the kitchen..."

I didn't understand what most of these rules meant but as time went on and purity hit me, I subconsciously began to turn to the rules as a way to remind myself of what my goal is. I didn't question the rules or pictures that were in the book from the fear of me being thrown back into those cages. Those black steel cages that were so small made you unable to move around, making you feel like a bird locked in a cage with the key being far away. The large grey locks they would use to secure the doors taunted you as you have no way to escape, that you were forever trapped.

I didn't want to go back, I refused to go back so I did what I felt was right. I adjust myself to become the daughter that my mother wanted. The daughter that would someday walk down the aisle and say "I do" to a man I've never met or desired because a happy life is all I've ever wanted. 

I remember when I was around 12 and I started to question some of the rules, I was a very curious kid. "Mother why can't I just make myself live a happy life? why do I need a husband for that?"