the left wing (M) mark x reader

pairing: mark (nct) + you (reader)

you: no more stalling. no more excuses. it's the middle of the night and you need to get away from nctu and all of its watchful eyes. maybe, with you and mark alone, you can finally tell him how you feel.

him: mark is steadily working up the courage to be honest with you about his feelings. but when he learns that your controversial story is connected to neonet, mark begins to wonder if he can trust you with his heart.

warnings: mild language; explicit sexual content

a/n: this is part four of my smashing the six series; check my masterlist for other parts; happy reading!

It was much easier said than done. Like most things in life.

Telling Mark how you felt was great in theory, but then your brain started going through all the possible things that could go horribly wrong.

"We call that anxiety," Winter quipped.

"I know," you mumbled under your breath.

You had made a strong effort to mend things with Winter and you were reminded that she was the only person in your life you could actually talk to about your feelings for Mark.

Not to mention she had been rooting for the two of you to get over your issues and just bone already. But that was beside the point.

You and your best friend were out to dinner for the first time in weeks. After losing a round of rock, paper, scissors, Winter chose her favorite Chinese spot - hot pot to be exact. So it was like you both won anyway.

"If you like him so much, you should tell him," Winter said. Again. "What's the worst that could happen - he turns you down? He would still be your friend. He cares about you."

"I know. I know," you chanted.

Mark cared about you. That much was certain.

Would he actually have the patience to try and make a relationship work with your cowardly ass? That remained to be seen.

By now, you had accepted you were just stalling. It went against every single one of your instincts - putting your heart on the line with a chance it would get crushed again.

Winter thankfully shifted topics. "How is your story coming along?"

"What story?" you replied sarcastically, taking another big bite so you would have time to come up with a bullshit answer for her next question.

"The one that finally got you back in the saddle and got neonet grinding on your ass?"

You shrugged. "Not much of a story so far," you lied. It wasn't that you distrusted Winter, you just wanted to play things safe. You didn't want to give them a reason to target her.

"Smashed anyone else lately?" she pried, no doubt eager to hear the sordid details.

You thought about Johnny and pinched your lips together, ultimately shaking your head and fibbing, "Nope. Neonet would blab about it if I had."

Winter tilted her head cutely. "Have you ever wondered what it would be like to run neonet?"

You glanced up, eyes stern. That was the last thing you ever expected your best friend to say. You could hardly believe your ears. "What?"

Winter took your shock and obvious disagreement in stride and said, "Yeah. I mean, come on. Who hasn't thought about it, right?"

You had never not once in your time on campus entertained the idea of running neonet. "My thoughts about neonet are only violent," you retorted, burning the roof of your mouth when you slurped another spoonful of broth.