Volleyball

AN: not spell checked, 1729 word count.

   I wander through the facilities, looking for Tom

Usually in situations like this I would go to my grandfather, but he is hundreds of miles away. I need someone to talk too, someone who will comfort me.

I sniffle, wiping away tears that have managed to run down my face.

  I find him outside, sitting at a picnic table with his RIO. Slider is waving his hands back and forth, speaking with frustration.
  "That damn Maverick! He is supposed to be our wingman, and not fly off to do who knows what—"

I plop down next to Iceman, leaning my entire weight against him. He doesn't hesitate to loop an arm around me, continuing his conversation with Slider.

I don't mind. I just need some form of physical contact to distract me.

Dear Lord, I can't remember a time flying without Moose.

I shudder, and that seems to draw Ice's attention to me. He gives me a smile.

"I heard you crushed the flight, shortstack!" He says cheerfully, but his enthusiasm fades when he sees my dull eyes.
"Hey, what's wrong?"

  "Moose is leaving." I whisper, resting my forehead on his shoulder. He wraps his other arm around me, pulling me into a hug.

And that is when I break.

I sob into his chest, burying my head in his shoulder. He whispers quietly in my ear, telling me that 'It's gonna be okay,' except it's not, because my best friend is leaving.

I am proud of myself for holding together while he told me everything... while explained that he would be moving to Arkansas. He talked about where he was going to ask her to marry him, next to a lake by their favorite restaurant.
He told me how he has the whole thing planned out, down to to very minute.
It all seemed so perfect.... except for the fact that he would be leaving me and Top Gun behind.

I even told him how excited I was for him.

I pull away from Iceman, wiping my eyes on my shirtsleeve. He places a protective hand on my shoulder, looking at me uncertainly.
"I'm so sorry," I whisper, not willing myself to look at him.

He leans forward, pressing a gentle kiss to my forehead. I lean towards him, letting my eyes close for half a second. He pulls away, and my eyes flutter back open.

"It's all right. This is what we're here for, isn't it?" He says, giving me a grim smile.

Slider stands, patting my shoulder comfortingly as he passes us on the way back towards the building.

"I should go shower," I choke out, shaking my head, trying to clear my brain.

"Go ahead. I'll pick you up out front," he says, smiling. "We'll all go to lunch. We have the rest of the day off, anyway."