Worried

An: not spell checked!

When Iceman's alarm goes off the next morning, we both groan

When Iceman's alarm goes off the next morning, we both groan. I snuggle deeper into his blankets as he reaches out, pressing the snooze button.

"It's just going to go off in ten minutes." I mumble, and he rolls over, tugging me towards him.

"Just ten more minutes, then we should get up." He replies, yawning. He is warm, and his arm is lazily slung across my middle. I am completely comfortable, but now that the alarm has gone off, I am awake.

  In the dim light of the room, I see his breaths start to even out and slow as he falls back asleep.

  I slip out of his grasps, cringing as the bed creaks. He doesn't seem to notice, and I slip out of the covers, the air cool to my bare skin.

I find one of his older navy training shirts in the closet and slip it on, the cloth falling past my knees.

The alarm goes off again, and the bed creaks as he gets up to turn it off.

"Is that my shirt?" He asks groggily, rubbing his eyes.

"Yeah." I say, pulling on my jeans, before tucking the shirt in. "It's comfortable."

"Good." He says, smiling. I smile back, his blue eyes bringing back last nights events in a rush.

Holy crap.

"I should head back to my place to get ready." I say, taking a step towards him and running my fingers through his messy hair, making it stand up.

He leans into my touch, a hum of a agreement on his lips.

"Let me get dressed, then I will give you a ride."

***

  Mrs Evelyn is not there when we arrive, so I just give Tom a kiss farewell before heading to my room. I find Ugene on my pillow, giving me an angry look.

  "Hey, bud." I say, plopping down next to him and tugging him onto my lap.
  He makes an annoyed huff, before he realizes I smell like Iceman. Then he jumps from my arms, trotting off to look for him. I laugh, standing and grabbing a towel, before making my way to the bathroom.

  I lock the door behind me, leaning against it. I am a bit tired, so I resolve to take a cool shower. I tug off Iceman's shirt, gasping when I see the red- purple mark on my neck.

  "Damn it, Tom." I say to myself, leaning towards the mirror and running my hand over the tender skin. The love bite sits high on my neck, and I don't know if I will be able to cover it.

"Stupid." I mumble, finishing shedding my clothes and stepping into the cold shower.

  When I  step back out, I hear Mrs. Evelyn banging around in the kitchen. I smile, sliding out of the bathroom back into my own room.

  I get dressed in comfortable clothes, making my way downstairs.
  "Hello, Mrs. Evelyn." I chirp, stepping into the kitchen. "Is there anything I can help you with?"

"Oh no, hon." She says, giving me a smile. "I did make cookies, though, help yourself." She sets a plate on the table, a dozen warm cookies giving off a delightful aroma.

I take one, saying thank you while biting into it. It breaks in my mouth, warm chocolate getting on my lips. I wipe it away, and she glances over at me from where she is scooping batter onto a tray.

"Did that boy apologize?" She asks casually. I smile at her.

"Yeah... we both did."

"Good, good." She said, opening the oven and sliding the next batch of cookies in. "Also, you got a few calls."

I grab another cookie, glancing up at her curiously.
"From who?"

"Your friend, Billy," she says, and I grin at the mention of Moose. "And I think your parents called. Your mama's name is Beth, right?"

I stop mid-bite, quickly swallowing.
"What did she say?" I ask quickly, a bit of fear in my voice. Mrs. Evelyn seems startled by my tone.

"They came to see you graduate." She says, frowning. "She said they wanted to surprise you."

***

I tug at my white uniform, my heart pounding in my chest as the doorbell rings. I stride out of my room, my braid hanging down my back.

When I open the door to find Iceman, I almost sob in relief.

"Hey hey hey." He says, pulling me into a hug. "What's wrong?"

"Oh, I'm fine." I say, hugging him back. "I'm just stressing out. My parents are coming."

"Oh." He says. "Okay, then." He releases me, and I grin at him.

"I have a surprise, but I can't tell you anything." He says excitedly, and I roll my eyes.

"Don't tease me, dork." I say, moving to grab my necklace. "Wait here, I will be right back."

When I return, he is sitting at the kitchen table, munching on a cookie. I stand behind him, placing a hand on his shoulder.
  Ugene is sitting in his lap, his tail twitching as he watches me.
"You ready to go?" I ask, smiling at Mrs Evelyn.

  "Sure." Iceman says, picking up the cat and placing him on the floor. "Thank you, Mrs Evelyn!"

  "Anytime, hon." She replies, and we make our way out of the house. The sun is shining brightly today, and I sigh happily.

"We need this graduation to be over so we can go to the beach again." I say, slipping my hand in his. "We should go before we are stationed, at least."

"Yes," he says, pulling on his aviators. I glance at him as he opens the car door for me, before jogging around the front of the car. He opens the door, glancing at me before blurting out.

"Do you think your parents will like me?"

  "They don't even really like me." I joke, but he just stares at me, completely serious. I sigh.

  "They will like you. I promise." He sighs, tugging at his uniform.

"Okay." He says slowly, pulling himself into the car. "I trust you."

Thanks!

-❤️Kena