Secondary

AN: not spell checked.

(This is my favorite GiF and I will be using it from now on

(This is my favorite GiF and I will be using it from now on.)

   When Iceman picks me up in the morning, he greets me with a hug, spinning me around, a huge smile on his face. I raise my eyebrows at him, confused, even though I am laughing along with him.

  "What's the excitement for, Ice-brain?" I ask as he sets me down. He grins, tilting his head.

  "I thought about it all night, and have made up my mind to finally ask you something." He says, still not having let me out of the hug. I rest my head on his chest, listening to the rumble of his voice.

  He pulls away, a smirk on his face as he tugs off his aviators.
   "Ashley," he says, doing an extravagant bow. "Will you be my girlfriend?"

  I walk by him, glancing unimpressed over my shoulder.
  "I thought we where already dating." I say simply.

  He rights himself, jogging after me.
   "Yes, we are, but I never formally asked you."

   I stop at the door, my hand resting on the handle.
  "Sure, Tom." I say, smiling at him. "I'll be your girlfriend."

  He smirks.
  "Slider owes me money," he says, striding around the front of the truck.

  "You two are real asses sometimes, you know that?" I say, leaning on the center divider as he opens his door. "Did you bet on when we where gonna kiss, too?"

  "Oh shit, I forgot about that." He says as he hops into his seat. He places a hand to cup my jaw, leaning forward and pressing his lips to mine. His lips are warm and chapped, fitting against mine perfectly.

  When he pulls away, I jump back as if I have been electrocuted, staring at him in shock. He gives me a smirk, leaning forward.

  "Did I scare you there, Princess?" He asks. I huff, tugging on the seatbelt and buckling in, ignoring how my face is red.

  "That's not fair." I say, avoiding eye contact. "I wasn't ready."

"I'll give you warning next time, okay?" He jokes, turning the key in the ignition and starting the engine.

He kissed me.

Holy shit.

***

I slide out of the truck, waving at Moose, who is standing by the door. With his long, rocking gait he moves towards us, his arms swinging back and forth at his sides.

His grin is contagious, and I grin back at him, ignoring the quiet voice in my head.

He's leaving.

  He's leaving you.

I swallow, pulling him into a hug. He seems surprised, but hugs me back all the same.

"What this for?" He asks, before quickly holding me out at arms length. "What did you break?"

"Just my heart." Iceman says as he walks by, and Moose's eyes widen, mouthing 'did you break up?'

"He's full of shit, don't listen to him." I say, dragging him towards the building.

"Today is my last day flying with you, so you better hurry your ass up."

Slider jogs to join us, and the four of us make our way into the building. I fall back with Iceman, watching his face.

He doesn't seem to notice, stopping at the classroom door as Moose opens it.

"Ladies first," he says charmingly, and I smirk, turning to Slider.

"I think he means you," I tease, and he throws his hands in the air.

"I feel bullied!" He says, striding into the room.

Iceman grabs the door, letting Moose enter. I slide in after him, looking at the whiteboard.

I freeze, my eyes widening.

"No flying today" is written on the board in big bold letters.

Yesterday was the last day I ever got to fly with Moose, and I didn't even know it.

I let out a shaky breath, moving to sit next to him. I pull out my pen in pad, my hand shaky. I feel Iceman's eyes on me, but I don't meet his gaze.

  "Good morning, pilots." Viper says, the door slamming shut behind him. A wave of 'Morning's fill the room, but I keep my mouth shut.

  "I have two announcements today." He says, his eyes moving towards Moose and I.

  "Billy Seay, callsign, 'Moose' we be leaving us here at Top Gun. It has been an honor working with you, son, and we are all very excited for your new opportunity." He gives him a smile, which he returns.
   "Moose and Osprey where ranked third in the class as of today. Sadly, since we will now be down a RIO, Osprey will take the position of secondary pilot until we can find a replacement."

  Secondary pilots hardly ever fly. I swallow. I hope they find me a RIO.

But no RIO will ever be as good as Moose.

***

I sit on the floor in the locker rooms, sobbing, trying to control myself.

How selfish of you, Ash. I scold myself. He will be happier away.

There is knocking on the door, and Iceman calls.
"Anyone in here?"

"J-just m-m-me." I make out, wiping my eyes. I stand up in surprise as as the door flies open and Tom steps into the locker, moving towards me with long strides.
"Tom..."

He picks me up, wrapping me in a hug. As I shake, he sighs sadly, stroking my hair. I wrap my arms around his middle, burying my head in the crook of his neck. He smells like cologne and jet fuel.
"It's okay, baby, relax." He coos, sitting down on the bench. "It's okay. Shhh, it's okay."

"Y-you could get i-in trouble for this." I whisper, pulling back slightly, and wiping my eyes. He gives me a weak smile.
  "Like I care."

  I sniffle, wiping my eyes again.
  "I'm sorry." I whisper, taking a step back. He watches me with kind eyes.

  "This all makes me feel so weak." I say, leaning against a locker, trying to regulate my breathing.

  "You're not weak." He says. "RIO's are family. Plus, you where basically grounded. Anyone else would be upset."

  "You wouldn't be," I say, closing my eyes.

  "Don't put your expectations of yourself all the way up there, Princess." He says, and I chuckle.

  "I wouldn't be able to reach, being five foot and all." I say. I hear him rise, and his hands grab mine. I feel his breath on my face as he rests his forehead on mine.

  "Take your time," he whispers, his breath fanning out across my face. "I'll give you a ride home."

Thanks!

-❤️Kena