019. But Now I'm Drowning..

"I thought we decided against going to the bathroom alone," Billie stiffened her yawn all the way through talking but once she finished her sentence, the yawn crept through either way. It grew massively, forcing her to raise her hand to cover her mouth. The door slipped her grip and it closed with a loud noise which, frankly, Billie could only hope it did not wake up those who had managed to fall asleep, unlike her. Sleep simply did not stick.

She guessed, by the time she'll be back in the room, Eddie would have finally joined the symphony of snores played by mostly Dustin and Lucas too. No way was her lover gonna miss on the chance to join that band.

Now, Billie looked first to the right: through the only door at that end of the corridor opened the main area of the police station. The officer the chief left on watch waved her, smiling and she was compelled to wave back.

With the relief of knowing that at least that door was kept open and light would always come through it to flood this narrow hallway, Billie finally looked towards the left and saw Devin was entering the bathroom, further away, on the way to completely ignoring her.

Rolling her eyes, Billie rushed to follow after him.

There was no gender split in the bathrooms at the section, at least not for that night, because no one could care less about privacy when demons and literal monsters roamed the town. Not being alone was more important than what toilets they used.

She passed the door towards the cells and instinctively, she looked through its window, even though she remembered clearly that blurred glass, not allowing her to see much, if anything, inside. Nothing changed with the glass and she had to turn her attention back to the bathroom rather disappointed.

Following Devin inside, Billie got the reaction of an annoyed groan from him.

"You don't have to pretend to care about me," he bluntly said, the wave of his hand trying, the best it could, to erase his sister from the quietness he needed and she so obviously disturbed. A whole chainsaw had been driven through his head and it was still drilling its teeth through, by the screams of his current migraine.

Billie's bad feeling pinned her next to the door the instant Devin's otherwise pleasant voice came in raspy, thrown her way.

Her silence was taken as a sign that she had given up. Good. Devin didn't even have the high expectation of her stubbornness to apply to him anymore.

Assuming she had left the bathroom and him alone with his thoughts at last, with shivering hands, he lifted his shirt up in front of the mirror. Though absolutely shivering at the mere thought of looking up to his reflection, he took a glimpse at the damage done by the Mirror Man's last appearance for him.

"The demon did that," Billie stated.

Devin flinched. Not only because he was taken off guard, but he also flinched because he did not need this shard of hope to shine before his eyes. They got so used to darkness that any fragment of light could have blinded him again and when the horror returned -he was damn aware it always will- he'll feel as terrified as in the first day again. He couldn't afford that.

"What are you still doing here?" He raised his voice and dropped his shirt in a rhythmic exchange that covered up again the yellowed and darkened bruises.

"Is that why you were at the station already when I got here?" Billie asked. "What did the Mirror Man do?"

Talking with her seemed pointless at that moment, so Devin bit his tongue, locked his jaw and bowed his head so his curly hair covered the majority of the expressions hidden in his eyes, which wanted to do exactly what they'd planned to be doing when he decided to take this to the bathroom: cry.