#5. Captain Underpants

Captain Underpants The First Epic Movie was released on June 2, 2017. This film was based on the children's book series of the same name by Dav Pilkey and stars Kevin Hart, Thomas Middleitch, and Ed Helms. Captain Underpants is notable for being the last DreamWorks Animated Movie to be distributed by 20th Century Fox. In 2012, DWA signed a five-year deal with Fox to have TCF distribute DWA's films. And a year before the five-year deal expired, NBCUniversal bought DreamWorks Animation. So yeah, a lot of significant history behind this. When Captain Underpants was released, the film grossed $125.4 million on a $38 million budget, pretty impressive. The film was given generally positive reviews, with critics praising the animation, humor, faithfulness and references to its source material, and voice acting, particularly from Helms. For those who are wondering, Ed Helms voiced Mr. Krupp and Captain Underpants. The movie was successful enough to create a spin-off TV show on Netflix that lasted four seasons.

When I was a kid, I loved reading the Captain Underpants novels. They were my favorite. When I found out that DreamWorks would be making an animated movie about Captain Underpants I was surprised that they had Kevin Hart voicing George and they had Ed Helms voicing the dual role of Mr. Krupp and Captain Underpants. Helms wouldn't have been my first choice for the character. And Nick Kroll wouldn't have been my first choice to voice Professor Poopypants either. But, both actors make it work. The story is actually faithful to the first four books in a way, and having Professor Poopypants as the main villain was a good idea. I had a lot of fun watching the film as someone that grew up with the novels. I like how the animation combines both 3D animation and traditional 2D animation. And the CG does a great job capturing the designs drawn by Dav Pilkey. And I really love that theme song done by Weird Al Yankovic. You can't go wrong with Weird Al. It is a tad bit of a shame that Captain Underpants isn't as often talked about as Shrek, Kung Fu Panda, or How To Train Your Dragon. Captain Underpants The First Epic Movie is a fun romp for kids and anyone that grew up reading the novels and deserves to be talked about a lot more.