#1. Spirit: Stallion Of The Cimarron

I bet you didn't see this one coming. Spirit: Stallion Of The Cimarron is a traditionally animated movie released on May 24, 2002. So now it's 20 years old. Spirit was directed by the late Kelly Asbury and Lorna Cook and features the voices of Matt Damon and James Cromwell. Matt Damon voiced the titular horse. But unlike most animated movies where the animal is an anthropomorphic character (Shrek in example), Spirit doesn't talk or act like a human. He acts like a natural horse, especially in body language. He and the horses communicate through non-linguistic sounds, even being voiced by actual horses. The film revolves around Spirit as he gets captured by humans during the American Indian Wars. And throughout the film, Spirit befriends a young Native American man who does all he can to free the horse. On an $80 million budget, the film grossed $122.6 million, barely doing well at the box office. The film was however nominated for an Oscar for best animated feature, but lost to Spirited Away. I do wonder how Spirit flew under everyone's radar at the time... Then again, this came out a year after Shrek was released, which was a smash hit. So of course Shrek would most likely overshadow Spirit. Some don't like how the Americans are portrayed in the film. And this was during a time when computer animation was starting to be favored over traditional animation. Real shame, because I really like the film. The animation is beautiful to look at, and Matt Damon gives a great voice performance as the titular horse. And the songs written by Bryan Adams are also pretty good. I of course do not consider the spin-off show and its spin-off movie Spirit Untamed to be canon in anyway. But it's nice to see this stallion finally get some well deserved attention and love, even if DreamWorks is simply cashing in. But I definitely think that Spirit Stallion of the Cimarron is the one DreamWorks Animated Movie that deserves to be talked about a lot more due to it being a simple story with beautiful animation and all around enjoyability. But that's my list. Thanks for taking the time to read it, and I do hope that my list motivates you to want to watch these movies. Take care now.