001

"Hey, Juliette!" I raise my hand up, waving her over. I can bet money that I saw her bluish-green eyes light up when she saw me.

Ever since she's shown up at Omega Point she's struggled to make friends- all things considered, I see why she struggles. I've tried my best to become her friend, but it doesn't seem like she puts the effort into wanting a friend.

Training with her has been fun though. That's where we get to talk the most. We've been working on her powers and she's doing better. I've gotten her to crush a brick with her bare hands but nothing further than that. I'd call that a good success but Kenji doesn't think so. Always crying about how she's behind. I try to reason with him but Kenji is Kenji so it's almost impossible.

"Kenji told me you'd be here, he tell you why?" I ask her as she takes a seat beside me.

"No, just led me here." Juliette shrugs. She messes with her hands in her lap and murmurs arise in my head. I push them away the best I can. The last thing I want is to get in trouble for accidentally hearing someone's thoughts. It's only this easy when someone is having a lot of emotions. With her hurting Adam, I see why she would be upset.

"Him with the freaking mysteries all the time. I don't know why he thinks it's such a good idea to keep people in suspense. It's like the guy thinks his life is a movie or something. Always so dramatic about everything. It's irritating as hell." Winston slides into the seat across from me.

"Eavesdropping now?" I raise my eyebrows at the glasses-wearing boy. Tone harsh. "That's new."

Brenden pops up behind Juliette's chair. "Don't listen to them- must be a nerd thing because it always seems they are a bit beastly in the morning." His English-accented voice says, eyeing both Winston and me.

Can everyone hear this conversation right now?

And no, I am not a nerd.

"Jesus, how early is it?" Winston asks, pushing his glasses up and rubbing his eyes.

"Seriously, I'd read Winston's mind for a cup of coffee right now." I make a disgusted face. "No one wants to know what's in there." I'd never actually read someone's mind unless I had a reason to but I'm making a good point.

"What's in his head?" Juliette asks curiously.

I shrug. "I'm sure all that's in there are math equations and stupid random facts that only Winston would know because he's Winston." Whispering only to Juliette.

She almost smiles. Almost. There's something in her head- probably Adam- keeping her distant.

"It's your fault for not getting any sleep at night. I mean, Winston has patrols, but what do you do all night, Y/N?" Brenden points an accusing finger at me.

"I dunno..." I look down at my shoes under the table.

Winston laughs, "What do you do that you don't want to tell us?" I can practically hear the smug grin on his face.

Winston and I have been friends for ages. Since then we've grown close. Not close like, "I love you so much, mwah, mwah." Disgusting. He's kind of like the older brother I never had.

"I just can't fall asleep at night, that's all." I lie. Not really a lie, I left out some. I look up at Winston. We make eye contact for a split second. He knows I'm not saying everything. He doesn't say anything.

Silence.

"It's not like I'm sneaking around with some mystery boy," I say, wearing an awkward grin.

"I swear if you are-" Winston is about to start his rant about me not being able to date until I'm at least 21 when Addie cuts him off.