005

"Sit down." The supreme says, patting the seat beside him.

Warner moves smoothly-- fluidly to the seat. He's wearing a suit similar to his father's, it hugging him in all the right places. He stares at Juliette for far too long before his gaze flicks over to me. He stares with zero emotions behind his eyes, just stares. I stare back. 

His father may scare me but I'm not scared of Warner. 

Maybe I should be.

The supreme breaks the tense silence, "So I would like to know," he looks at Juliette. "how, exactly, you managed to get away. I'm suddenly curious, and my son has made it very difficult to extract these details."

I look at Juliette. She blinks at the supreme as if she's confused. 

"Tell me, how did he escape?" The supreme asks.

Juliette's confused. You can tell by her face. "The first or the second time?"

"Twice! You managed to escape twice!" The supreme laughs. A real laugh. It almost makes me want to laugh too. Maybe I would if this was under different circumstances. "Incredible. Both times, then. How did you get away both times?"

Juliette shoots me a concerned look before saying, "I jumped out the window the first time and shot him the second."

My mouth opens wide. I'm shocked. The supreme's shocked. Warner's not. Of course, he's not shocked, he was the one who was shot. 

 "You shot him?" The supreme asks.

Warner stares at Juliette. Face firm. Blank. No emotion. No movement. 

"Yes," She says, now looking at Warner. "I shot him. With his own gun."

I'm stunned.

Why are we still here? 

Why are we sitting in this room, still talking?

He's stalling. 

I keep my face blank as I look around the room, my mind swarming with questions about Kenji and Adam. Are they okay? Are they alive? 

I stare around, not moving my head. Two windows in the room across from me, both shut with cracked glass.

 I could teleport out. It's risky though. I don't know where to teleport to. Down the road? I don't know if I have enough energy for that but I could try. Then we'd have to find a safe area to lay low until we figure out what happens next. 

I just need to get Juliette's hand. I also need to make sure that she's ready to go but based on what's going on, she doesn't seem in any hurry. Outside of the windows, all that can be seen is the wall of the house next door. 

There's definitely enough room between this house and the next if, worst-case scenario, I have to teleport out there. But I'd like to make as much distance between us and this house as I can.

Warner clears his throat and my head snaps in his direction. I must've moved my head absentmindedly. His green eyes are dull staring into mine. No emotion, like before. He opens his mouth, about to say something to me but stops. 

He stares at me still. My gaze flicks around his face, his lips, his nose, and his eyes. He's finally showing some emotion. He's confused. His eyes are now traveling around my face. He looks like he just realized something groundbreaking. His mouth slowly opens but is soon clamped shut when he turns his head to his dad. 

The Supreme has a gun to Juliette's head. He has a gun to Juliette's head.

"I'm sick of cleaning up after you." The supreme says loudly. He grabs Warner's arm, tugging him into a standing position. He pushes the gun into Warner's hand, "Shoot her. Shoot her right now."