Chapter One

Another night, another heist sabotaged by you. Mad Hatter's heists were pretty easily ruined. A little spritz of bad luck, and his tech completely stopped working. On the worst occasions, it would heat up and catch fire. It didn't matter which way it went, it still meant that anybody who wasn't getting paid to help him was no longer under his control.

Yes, the way his schemes went wrong lacked variety, but he was still stopped. Something felt off as you came to the front door of your apartment, though. Taking a deep breath, you swiftly unlocked the door, reaching for the light switch as soon as it swung open.

The light that suddenly filled the room revealed to you the intimidating form of Batman. You gasped, turning around to run, though you didn't get very far before a batarang pierced the wall ahead of you, followed by a resounding, "Wait!" Heart still pounding in your chest and reverberating in your ears, you swallowed, turning back around to face him.

You briefly considered cursing him as you closed the door behind you with a shaking hand. The idea was shot down almost as soon as it appeared though. If Batman died because of you, that would leave Gotham in uncertain hands. That and you'd probably die from guilt.

"Sit down. I'm not here to take you in, yet. I have more than a few questions to ask you." Still trying to come down from your adrenaline high, you nodded, walking over to your dining room table and taking a seat. Once you were settled, Batman pulled out the chair across the table from you and sat down.

The comedic layout of the scene wasn't lost on you. In an actual room used for interrogations, this would be much scarier, but this was your small studio apartment. If he weren't Batman and if you weren't an accomplice in multiple crimes -albeit unsuccessful ones-, this wouldn't be so different from an average talk with one of your friends.

"What's up? It's not everyday the one and only Batman willingly sits down and has a conversation with a low-life goon such as myself," you teased, mostly to lighten up your own mood. "No, but there's something odd about you when it comes to your job as a goon." "And just what would that be, Bats?"

His jaw clenched at the nickname. "The first hiest you were involved in, four years ago, you worked with the Riddler. Every time he tried to tell a riddle, he wasn't able to get it out without stuttering. Every trap he set fell apart. The next time he challenged me, none of that happened."

"Your point?"

"You weren't there that next time. And a few weeks later, you were involved in a crime with the Ventriloquist. Scareface's jaw fell off, followed by the rest of the puppet falling apart shortly thereafter. Not to mention tonight, and Scarecrow a few days ago. Every crime you're an accomplice to seems to mysteriously go wrong, and I assume you know why that is."

"It's pure coincidence, Batman. I would say I'm surprised, but I've heard you're known for having hunches. And it's false anyway, not every heist I help out with results in something going horribly wrong for my employers."

You thought about saying it wasn't you, that you weren't involved in any crimes, but that would be too easy for him to disprove. If he tracked down your apartment and had specific examples of crimes you were involved in, there wasn't a point in denying that.

"And do you have an example?" "Sure, Two-Face, last month. Nothing went wrong there, if you hadn't shown up, his plan would've gone off without a hitch." That was true. You knew the unfortunate fact that you couldn't ruin every crime you were involved in. That led to suspicion too quickly.

So, you had to let a few slide and leave them up to Batman, much to your dismay. "Not to mention, the idea that I could solely be the cause of so much bad luck is completely absurd, Batman. Think about it."

His only response was to narrow his eyes with a, "hrm." He stood up, pushing his chair in before walking away. "I'm keeping an eye on you," was all he said before opening your window and disappearing into the black of the night. Guess you now knew for sure how he got in.

You walked over to the window and closed it, biting your lip in thought. From the looks of it, he hadn't contacted authorities before arriving, nor had he contacted them when he got to your apartment. And he said that he'd, 'keep an eye on you,' so you assume he isn't contacting them currently.

But what did 'keeping an eye on you' even mean? You were confused, remembering the batarang still stuck on the wall outside of your door. You opened your door and reached your arm out to grab the batarang embedded in the wall. You decided to brush it off for now, going into your bedroom and slipping the batarang into the drawer of your nightstand.