Chapter Eleven

It had been a few weeks since Jason had started training you. During that time, the two of you had worked on your suit. You had stuck to the creative decisions; colour, symbols, the like. Jason had helped you when it came to practicality; mobility, storage, blending into the shadows, you get the picture. To actually create it, Jason took some of his spare Red Hood gear and remodelled it to fit you and match the design you settled on.

Tonight, Gotham would be introduced to Vex. Albeit, partnered with Red Hood. You, of course, were no stranger to how criminals organised their crimes, but Jason still decided to make your first mission with him a simple one. You weren't used to actually being the vigilante, after all. 'Simple missions' in vigilante - or maybe just Jason's terms - meant stopping a bank robbery.

When you got to the scene of the crime, you raised an eyebrow, recognising the masks the goons were wearing. "Aren't these Black Mask's men? I thought you said you were working with him?" "Well, I'm not working with him as much as I'm stopping his crimes to get information out of his men and use them to establish my own criminal empire. "

"I have so many questions-" "We'll talk about it later at the hideout," Jason elbowed you a little before gesturing his head to the criminals. "Do your thing." "Right, right." You looked over to the group of criminals, taking note of how they all interacted and deciding who was the leader. Once you had them identified, you cursed him and turned to Jason.

"Now we let it work its magic." The two of you watch, ready for action as the leader blows open the vault. Your eyes widened in horror though, as you watched a large piece of rubble fall from the ceiling, crushing the person standing beneath it. As the other goons froze in shock at the scene, Jason turns his head towards you.

"Does that usually happen?" Your breath quickened as you shook your head, "no, I don't...I don't why it.." you trailed off. "Hey, it's okay. You can't control how bad the luck someone gets is, right?" "Well, no." "Then it's not your fault. C'mon, let's take down the rest of these fools." But, wasn't it your fault, though? You're the one who cursed them, after all.

Shaking off the thought for a moment, you nodded and leapt into the action with him. "Who is that?" You heard one of the goons say as you took another one out. You turned to him, "just an old friend." You quipped before knocking him out as well. "Did you really just say that?"

You looked over at Jason behind you, only mildly surprised to see the limp bodies behind him, pools of blood beneath their heads. "Not sure why that's any kind of shock to me," you said as you pointed to them. Jason shrugged before the sound of sirens came from outside. "Alright," Jason takes out his grappling hook, "fun's over, time to go."

You followed his lead out of the bank and onto a building about a block away. "That wasn't half bad," Jason complimented. "Thanks," "Going back to something else that happened, has that kind of thing happened before?" You swallowed so hard it was almost painful. "Has my curse ever killed anyone before?"

"Yeah." You bite your lip, taking a deep breath through your nose as you look away, tears pricking in your eyes. "So," you start off awkwardly, your voice choking up. You looked around a little, ensuring that you were alone together. "You know how you said, when you were Robin, that you would see me working at the convenience store?"

"Yeah?" You didn't need to see Jason's face to know that he was starting to raise an eyebrow. You cleared your throat. This was happening, just get it over with. "Funny, um, funny thing that. I was having a particularly bad day while locking up one night. Then you bumped into me, not as Robin or anything, and made me drop my water bottle."

"Then you told me to apologise, and I said no before walking away, I remember," you nod, trying to avoid looking at him. "[Name]," his voice was low, "don't tell me this is going where I think it's going." All you did was sigh. "That was the last straw for a sixteen year-old me that day, and I cursed you. I cursed you on August twenty-fifth, and the curse lasts for forty-eight hours.

As you know, your death was announced a few days later." Jason moved to stand straight up very slowly, his body now stiffening. The sudden tension he was giving off almost reminded you of an animal. Jason turned his back to you and began walking away. You went to follow him, but he turned and placed a hand on your chest, pushing you back.

Feeling unsure of what to actually do, you just stood there and watched him leave. It wasn't until he threw something over his shoulder that you felt something other than shame and despair. You looked at the object in front of you, eyebrows furrowed. Then it started blinking and beeping, and you realised what it was. You fumbled with your grappling hook a little before casting it and getting away just before it exploded. Guess you had to figure this all out on your own now.