Chapter Five

And, two weeks later, you were working for Two-Face again. He had been rather vague about what the plan was. From what you were told, it was a bank heist...and that's about all you knew. Two-Face stepped towards you, yanking your shirt collar and pulling you up to meet his eyes. "You know, kid," he says, throwing you to the floor and slamming his foot onto your chest.

"Us rogues talk, and we've come to a realisation about you. Half the time you work for us, everything gets ruined and we get caught. It's all centred around you, it would seem." he pulls out one of his guns, aiming at your face, taking out his coin with the other. "But, at the same time, maybe it's not. On the other hand, half the crimes you assist with go perfectly fine, all up until Batman shows up."

Your breathing was getting faster the longer he went on. God dammit, sure, you knew that Two-Face and some other villains were intelligent and paranoid. And you knew that could definitely lead to you getting caught, but you weren't ready for it to go this badly. Let alone the fact that word has probably gotten out if he's saying "us rogues talk".

"You also have a tendency to leave right after Batman shows up, odd for a goon. But, I'm a fair man, so why don't we let fate decide. You should know the deal now. Land on the wrong heads, I kill you. Land on the right heads, you get another chance." The world was in slow motion as you watched the coin fly into the air, flipping continuously.

A wheel of chance, your life in the hands of fate. But, the problem with fate is that the smallest thing can interfere with and end up changing it. With lighting speed, the coin was sent flying through the air. Eyes wide, you followed Two-Face's gaze over to Jason, a scattered collection of what could've been either dead or knocked out goons behind him.

"You know, Harv, dead men aren't very useful." He knocked the gun out of Two-Face's hand. "Now," he says, aiming at Two-Face's head, "I'm gonna give you ten seconds to leave and let the goon go, otherwise..." Of course, while he didn't say it, the implication of what was going to happen was heavy in the air. Words simply weren't needed.

With barely even a second of consideration, Two-Face ran. Jason sighed, holstering his gun and looking over to you. "Are you alright?" he asked, offering you a hand. "Yeah, but I'm out of a job now." you replied as you took his hand and let him help you up. "The rogues talked and decided that I was a snake."

"Aren't they right?" "Sure, but I wasn't ready for them to find out." "But you knew they would find out, right?" "Of course, one could only do what I do for so long before people catch on." "Fair enough." "You know, you helping me just now probably won't help my case." "Would you rather I didn't help then?" "That's not what I said!"

You both laughed before there was a small lull in the conversation until you spoke up again. "How did you get a new helmet?" "I have spares." "Figured." You decided to leave, realising that you had to find a new job. It seemed Jason had the same idea, as he had also headed towards the door. You both left the warehouse, standing outside the door.

"Thanks, for the save I mean." "Just returning a favour." You smiled at him before going your separate directions. One long walk later, and you were back at your apartment, tired and almost yearning for the warm embrace of your bed. And you were granted that luxury after a quick change into your sleep clothes, plugging in your phone before sighing and falling asleep.

You were awoken by the sound of your bedroom window opening, glowing white eyes meeting yours. But was it Jason or Batman? Your drowsy mind was having a hard time figuring that out. "Hey! Are you awake, man?" Jason, definitely Jason. "Yeah, yeah, I'm up." your voice was still thick and gravely with sleep as you yawned.

"We have to get you out of here." "What?" you asked, ripping your covers away and turning on your bedside lamp, your legs hanging over the side of your bed when you sat up. "You need to get out of here. Now." You grabbed your phone and walked over to Jason. "Are you like, evicting me now or-" he didn't give you time to finish, grabbing you and hoisting you over his shoulder, leaping out of your open window.

You thought he had lost his mind. Until you watched your apartment complex explode. Blown up into smithereens, horror enveloping your mind. If Jason hadn't been there...

The two of you were free-falling for a moment before Jason took out a grappling hook, shooting it and gaining a solid hold on another building. Once he had made it to the rooftop, he put you down and removed his helmet. He knelt down in front of you, now taking in the haunted and ashen look your face held. He cursed, concern etched into his features.

He waved a hand in front of your face, testing if you would respond, Your hand shot up suddenly, grabbing his wrist. An odd way to comfort yourself and keep grounded. "How did you know?" The question was slow, each word deliberate. "I've been making a few deals with Black Mask, once he found out about your deceit, he was furious.

You had interfered with one of his crimes in the past, and it led to a massive setback in his plans. He wanted revenge, so he found your address and blew up your apartment." You focused on what he had said, trying to decide where you would go from here, only to realise, you didn't really have anything. Sure, you had plenty of money saved, but what was stopping Roman or somebody else from doing the same thing to your new apartment.

"I-I don't have anywhere to go." "What? "I don't have anywhere to go." "No family, anybody?" "My parents are long gone. I don't have any siblings as far as I know, I never knew my extended family, and my whole job has made me a complete recluse." Jason was quiet, looking back at the burning building, the fire department here and trying desperately to put it out.

"I could..." he hesitated. "I could take you over to one of my safehouses." "Are you sure?" "You have at least some medical knowledge and your work with the rogues has most likely made you a great source of intel on them. You can guess their moves. It would just be generally beneficial.

"If you're absolutely sure, I would gratefully accept your offer." "And I am absolutely sure."