Chapter Fourteen

(A/N- I'm going back to school, and a kid intentionally deadnamed me within the first week :) Anyway, here's another update! I also looked back at my previous chapters to make sure I was staying consistent, and I realized that my hEDS shows sometimes lol. My schedule may be a little hectic because I've been going to the gym so I don't almost pass out when I stand, and school forces me to do the science fair if I want to stay in my science honors class. I am not excited.)

You land on top of the GCPD building with a soft 'thud'. Your grappling hook had jammed a couple days ago, leaving you to rely on what acrobatics Jason taught you.

You've taken more leaps of faith than you're comfortable with. You look around a bit, the concrete hard and cold under your boots."I know you're here, Bats."

You turn, noticing the bright white eyes of the cowl cutting through the darkness as he steps forth. "Why'd you want me here," you ask, rocking side to side a bit. "The Batmobile is parked in the alley.

Listen to me very carefully," the eyes of the cowl narrow with warning. You tense."If your going to help me, I need to take you to the Batcave-" "The Batcave?" "Robin named it.

Look, if I'm going to take you there, I need to make sure you tell absolutely nobody. Got it?" "You have my word. Not like I have anyone to tell, anyway."The Bat replies with a simple, "hmm," before leading you down the fire escape and into the alley.

He gets into the vehicle, pushing a button to open the door for you. You hesitate as you get in, buckling the seatbelt just by instinct."So, this is the Batmobile. I assume-" "Robin named this one, too, yes."

You nod, looking around a bit, at the vast array of buttons and switches laying across the dashboard. You don't move to touch any of it. You've seen what the machine can do.

You begin to think of some of the features this car might have as you look around. "You could totally knock me out with the push of a button, couldn't you?" "You don't want to find out." "So, that's a yes." You lean back in your seat a bit, a silent lull falling over you two.

The buildings pass by at a rapid pace, eventually being replaced by the thick green on the outskirts of Gotham. You sit up in your seat, the leather creaking beneath your touch as you stare intently through the window.

A bright light comes into your view from the corner of your eye. You turn, eyes widening a bit as a large door opens and the car rolls in at a much slower pace. Your mouth falls open a bit, "Jesus..." Batman doesn't comment on it, instead turning to you as the car comes to a stop inside the cave.

"Stay in the cave. Do not go up the stairs." You nod, "got it. Any other rules I should know about?" "I'll tell you if you get to them." You raise an eyebrow for a brief moment before the roof of the vehicle opens, the hiss of hydraulics following as it tilts back.

"It's a convertible," you smirk, hopping out of the vehicle. That, he doesn't respond to, only giving a mild huff as he gets out and heads to the large computers at the head of the cave. "Put your weapons down." "Really?" He gives you a challenging look.

You silently set what weapons you have on the console, including your grappling hook. Just in case."Who's this?"A new voice spooks you, making you jump a bit as you turn to the figure stepping out of the shadows. "Nightwing," Batman acknowledges, "this is Vex. He's here to help us with the Red Hood case."

Red Hood? Had he not told Nightwing that Jason is Red Hood?"So, you're the one who was Red Hood's sidekick?" "You could say that. I only worked with him for one night." "One night?" "Long story." The sound of clicking keys bouncing off the cave walls forces both your attentions back to Batman.

The screens illuminate the darkened cave, giving a clear view of what information Batman has collected on Jason without your input. His cape swishes a bit as he steps aside, letting you step forward. "Can you give us anything that we could use?"

"Hmm," you lean over the desk, looking through the images and text files being displayed. You skim over the mission files, tapping your fingertips over the hard desk. You see Nightwing pick up your grappling hook in the corner of your eye as you think and mutter to yourself.

You don't pay it much mind, though."He wants you to follow him." You finally state, crossing your arms over your chest as you lean back, biting your lip. "He wasn't always the most direct with me about his plan, but, from what i could understand, he wants Gotham to change."

"How so?" Nightwing steps forward. "When he had come back to Gotham," you start, "nothing changed from when he died. Crime was still rampant and - most importantly - Joker was still alive and just locked up in Arkham.

He's trying to confront you guys directly."You give a frustrated sigh, "that's all I can really conclude. He could do any number of things to achieve his goal." Batman gives a stiff nod, "I see." He rubs his chin in thought before shaking his head, stepping back in front of the screen.

You frown at the sudden silence, moving back again, giving the cave another look around. The room remains silent for a few more seconds before Batman looks back at you and Nightwing. "Take Vex home," he starts, his tone flat as ever, "the address should already be saved in the Batmobile.

"Your eyebrows furrow in mild offense, but you don't argue as you grab your stuff and turn to Nightwing, letting him prompt you. He shrugs, gesturing for you to walk with him to the vehicle. You nod, following him and hopping back into the passenger seat as he slides into the driver's seat.

The hood folds down again, the screen in front of Nightwing illuminating itself. "Huh, I guess it did save your address." "Kind of weird." "Hey, from him, it's a compliment." The car backs out of the cave, seeming to be on an autopilot as he drives.Nightwing leans back in his seat, turning his attention to you.

"B doesn't tell me anything," he chuckles, "mind telling me about yourself?" You snort a bit, finding it believable that Batman wouldn't even tell his teammates about everything."I used to work as a goon for the Gotham Rogues." "And Batman still let you in?"

"Well, I have this thing where I can curse people with bad luck. I basically used that to ruin their plans, but I was caught and would've died if Red Hood didn't save me." "I see. Good to know you're not evil. For the most part."

"For the most part," you echo, "so, Batman's that blunt with everyone?" "Pretty much." "I'm so looking forward to that." " He grows on you, but he'll have his moments." The two of you talk throughout the rest of the ride, the Batmobile eventually coming to a stop in the alley next to your fire escape.

You move to get out of the car. "Wait a sec." You look back at him, head tilting in question." I noticed your grapple was jammed. I didn't exactly have time to fix it, so I just grabbed you a new one." You raise your eyebrows as he hands you a new grappling hook, a small smile coming to your face. "And you're sure the Bat is alright with this?"

"He has plenty. Trust me."