Broken

Marinette stood outside Luka's door. She didn't want to knock because she risked running into Adrien, but she couldn't find Luka anywhere. They were supposed to go roller skating. 

After waiting almost twenty minutes on the front steps, Marinette had gone off in search of her boyfriend. 

She dialed his number again. 

It rang and rang. 

"Oh come on," she muttered under her breath. 

Marinette took a deep inhale and knocked on the door. Unfortunately, Adrien answered. He stared at her with a wide deer-caught-in-headlights look. 

"Marinette?"

She crossed her arms protectively. "I'm looking for Luka." Marinette tried to keep her tone casual. She didn't want to fight with Adrien right now.

She didn't want to fight with him ever again. 

Marinette shook herself out of that thought. "Have you seen him?"

"Last I saw him he was heading out." Adrien shrugged. "Oh, he did have his guitar with him. Maybe he went to the music room?"

Marinette blinked. She hadn't expected Adrien to be so nice or helpful, but he was talking to her like nothing had happened. Almost instantly she was angry. It was Adrien's fault they had broken up in the first place. 

He had stolen her designs and submitted them to his father's internship without her knowledge. She now relished the fact that her designs had been good enough for Gabriel Agreste, but she was also still frustrated Adrien hadn't respected her wishes.

Adrien gripped the door frame and leaned further across the threshold. "So, how are you?"

"Good," she said quickly. "Just fine. You?"

"The same," he said.

They drifted into an awkward silence.

"Um, I have to go." Marinette motioned down the hall, her phone still in her hand. "I'm late. Thanks, uh, by the way. For your help." 

She cringed. Why did it feel like she was talking to a stranger?

"No problem." Adrien looked like he wanted to say something else, but he just closed the door. 

Marinette headed to the third floor classrooms where the music room was. As she rounded the corner, she saw a group of students huddled around the door. Camera lights flashed as some of them took photos.

"Excuse me." Marinette tried to cut through the crowd, but it blocked the whole hallway. "I'm looking for my boyfriend."

"Shush!" A girl in a beanie said. "I'm trying to get a picture of Luka."

"Go for it," Marinette said, feeling a little irritated. "Talking isn't going to keep you from doing that."

"But you pushing me will!" The girl whirled around with a fierce look on her face. "Who are you anyway?"

"Luka's girlfriend."

"Girlfriend? Ha! As if. You're just a pathetic fangirl. Are you stalking him?" She narrowed her eyes. "I've never seen you here before."

"It's a large school." Marinette rolled her eyes. "Besides, I'm wearing the same uniform as you."

"You could have stole it."

"Stolen," Marinette corrected her.

"See!" The girl's hand shot out as if she had proof. "Did the rest of you hear that?" she asked the kids standing around them.